races in shelf carcass

Page 2 of 2
On 4/26/2012 10:04 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

I'd go w/ Swing's approach...
BTW, since this is a woodworking group, that's the wrong kind of carcase... :)
tiredofspam wrote:

I can't see a problem with hollow core sides, all you need is some wood between the skins for the shelf pin holes. I do it all the time.
The problem is your desire to have moveable shelves...easy to hide the wire for a fixed shelf, pretty hard for a moveable one (FWIW and IME moveable shelves almost never get moved). However, the only way I can think of to do it is to have a race routed in the side(s) or back, partially fill that race with a strip of wood that is in sections...if you gotta move a shelf, juggle the sections so the wire exits where you want it.
--

dadiOH
On 4/26/2012 3:33 PM, dadiOH wrote:

adjustability for. Different size books, displays , whatever. After that no one moves it.. agreed.
However, the only way I can think of to do

What I think I might do is take Swingman's idea, add 1/2 ply ... So take the existing 3/4 inch panels I have already cut, route part of the channel in the 3/4,
route the rest of the race in the 1/2 leaving about a 1/4" of thickness for the lip that hides the wire. Hopefully that would be enough thickness. I can glue the 3/4 and 1/2 together using either cauls or vacum bagging, but the vac bag might break the lip... there's a lot of force in vac bagging.