Rabbet clean-up

Page 1 of 2
I just cut a few rabbets in some Jatoba for a box I'm building. It's the pet urn from the recent Canadian Woodworking Magazine. I don't own a shoulder plane so I logged on to the Lee Valley site to buy one and they are out-of-stock until the end of April. Anyone have any suggestions on other good ways to clean up the saw marks without damaging the nice lines of my box? I suppose I could use sandpaper but I'm concerned with keeping everything straight. Thanks in advance.
Ed
Ed wrote:>I don't own a

Use a correspondingly long sanding block with the sandpaper? Sorry about your pet. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
snip

your
Thanks, I'll try it. Not my pet, a friend's.
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca says...

In that case....
Cutting rabbets for a pet urn?
Sorry, it had to be said.
vic terminally silly

of course. they're just a hare undersize.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Your problem is your blades aren't sharp enough. You didn't spend enough time lapin them.

Oh! Now *that's* a good one...
Use a single-edge razor blade as you would a scraper and clean the edge up with that. Or if you want more aggressive action, use a chisel, held nearly vertical and pulled along the rabbet to clean up the saw marks.
Bob S.

are
snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca says...

Scraper? Not that difficult to make a small profile scraper from a used hacksaw blade or utility knife blade. With a little practice, a light touch, and not much pressure you can get a glass-smooth finish.
good luck vic
Hi Ed -
Shoulder planes should be back in stock within a week....
Cheers -
Rob Lee

are
Robin Lee wrote:

Or you could get the Veritas shoulder plane for considerably less than the LN. It's an innovatively improved shoulder plane that works really nicely and is easy on the hand.
charlie b
brought forth from the murky depths:

I'm glad I didn't have my long-handled crowbar out this morning.
Speaking of which, could you resend that email acknowledging the order? I had a computer crash (NT blue screen) right after it came so I lost it. Merci!
---------------------------------------------------------------------- * Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy * --Noah * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------
<snip>

<snip>
Done.
Larry Jaques wrote:

<cough>
[silvan@giganator] /tmp ->uptime 22:52:01 up 134 days, 19:20, 3 users, load average: 4.96, 5.56, 5.71
(My load average sucks though. 5.71? Good grief! It's because I'm compiling Rosegarden on a crappy PII-233 while attempting to run a couple dozen applications. I need to replace my dead computer soon. This thing sucks. OTOH, if I replace this computer, there goes my uptime.)
Silvan wrote:

Now THAT was definitely a neener!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 22:58:15 -0500, Silvan wrote:

Damn, I coulda beat you for uptime 'cept last week I gave my 286 chassis with an AT-2 MB and Pentium MMX 233 the Fonzi treatment to stop it's CPU cooling fan CPU squealing (about 4 times) and the damn thing froze up.
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
Ed G wrote:

A scraper.
Chuck Vance
snip

Thanks, everybody, for your input. I ended up using a combination of sanding and scraping and it seems to have come out ok, although a SHOULDER PLANE would have been nicer. Get that Rob,.... SHOULDER PLANE? Anyway, I'll post some pics on ABPW when I get the finishing complete.
Ed
<snip>

LVT0041 DISPLAY Display Purchase Order Details 4/02/04 12:42:05
Lee Valley Tools Ltd.
S P Product Description Buyer : JM Date Out
05P4101 Vendor 2993
Vendor Part
Type options, press Enter.
5=Display
Purchase Line Quan Quan Quan Order Due
Opt Whs Order No. Vendor # Ordered Received Due date Date
1 48705 135 2993 *** *** *** 2/17/04 4/12/04
1 48763 56 2993 *** 0 *** 3/20/04 4/30/04
GOT IT!! This one (Medium) should be back in stock next week actually....
Or did you mean the LARGE SHOULDER PLANE, which will be here later THIS SUMMER!!!!
Cheers -
Rob
:)
Sheesh - next thing you'll want is a store, too...
scribbled:

Just remember that I asked first, back in 1998 or so.