Quick-release handle ideas?

When an assistant was asked to cut a cement backer board with a wave to the saws, he picked a short handsaw instead of the circular saw with a dry diamond blade for the job.

Now that the handsaw has retired from woodworking, inspiration from reading on jigs and fixtures gave the idea that it could be partially reincarnated for another use, unlike the assistant.

Instead of having a separate handle protruding from various jigs and push blocks, it would be nice if there was a handle which could move from one to another, making the custom fixtures easier to store.

For example, the saw blade could be shortened, cut at an angle and drilled with holes that could accomodate fasteners securing it to a fixture with a slit bloc featuring matching holes for fasteners.

What I'm wondering about is the attaching hardware. Nuts, tee nuts and bolts would fly.So would tight, short-throw, round bolts mounted on the fixture. A bullet catch could be used as an allignment device for other holes accomodating more reliable fasteners. Any other ideas along this line or for fasteners (quick-release would be good) or other roles for the compromised saw?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Make a knife from the blade And use the handle for jigs. If large enough, make multiple knives. Look at Inuit Ulu for inspiration.

are now made with stainless steel blades, but at one time were made using discarded saw blades.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

How about a 1" long metal protrusion which is caught by the handle when it's tightened?

Right, slit the handle block and use one or two of these cam clamps to pinch the sides together onto the protrusion from the jig. It would be much quicker and less hassle than through holes and hardware. If you wish more precision, use metal pin dowels to align the holder to the holdee, though this would mean making a separate, movable jaw in the handle.

cam clamps

metal dowels ("wood would wear" I alliterated)

-- Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble. -- Carl Jung

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I never tried it, but I read hand saw blades can be made into scrapers.

Reply to
wb8nbs

It has ?

Reply to
Stuart

LB:

I'm sold on the word by itself. "Open the drawer with the khukri, ulu and kris in it" just sounds good.

Thank you for the time and suggestion.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

LJ:

Good idea. The simple ones always are.

You educated me a new one.

Anyone calls you alliterate...let me at 'em.

Thanks again,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

WB:

I never tried it, but I read hand saw blades can be made into scrapers.

Yes, that makes sense. I'll put it on the list.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Your point is precisian but completely admissible unless I go all ulu in a final determination.

Thank you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"Axe me again how to open that drawer the MACHO way!"

-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It does! Can you get all three out of the ruined saw?

I've always just liked the knives. Should also note that the Real Originals were stone.

Don't mention it.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser