Questions for Owners of Veritas Workbench

After lo these many years, I have decided it's time for a proper woodworking bench. I've pretty much settled on the Veritas Bench from Lee Valley, but I have a couple of questions for those of you who already have them.

  1. Do I need the extra weight of the cast-iron legs, or is the bench with wooden legs heavy enough to stay put? It looks like the cast iron legs add about 85 pounds of weight, but I really like the wooden base better, and I may want to build a cabinet under there someday.

  1. I bought the largest Record Quick-release vice several years ago when they were going out of business, and I've been saving it for my bench. If the factory supplied front vice stays in place, is there room to mount the Record on the end of the "other" slab? If I can't attach the Record with the front vice in place, maybe I can order the bench without the front vice.

DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I'll bet you could call Lee Valley and they could give you more definitive answers.

1) FYI, I don't have this bench but my guess is the wood base is sufficient weighty and stiff, it looks to be much like many classic bench designs. 2) Again, can't be sure but from the photos it certainly looks like you could do this. If you wanted to replace the supplied vise with your Record, it appears from the assembly instructions that you may have to modify the top. From the instructions on the web site:

"5. Slide the front vise into the holes in the front vise jaw and, using a #3 Robertson® screwdriver (square drive), fasten the two together with three #14 × 1-1/2" flat-head screws. Wind the front vise jaw assembly into the mating holes located on the right front corner of the bench."

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Thanks for your response. I called Lee Valley. They promised to find the answer and get back to me. That was yesterday. I'm sure I can figure a way to mount the Record vice in place of the standard front vice. But if there's no significant price break for leaving off the front vice, I'd rather use it too and put the Record on the end.

The main question is whether the rails and screw on the front vice extend all the way under the center tray to the opposite slab. If not, I should be able to mount the Record on the end.

DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him.

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I have one sitting in the shop, ready to be assembled, with the wooden leg kit. My guess is if you're not a 900 pound gorilla, the wooden legs will provide all the stability you need. They are, to coin a word, sturdy.

I have the Veritas twin handle end vise, and a Jorgenson front vise. I don't expect any problems.

Reply to
Charlie Self

If the OP finds the wooden legs too light, he could probably add some sort of storage cabinet or drawer system. Filled with tools, the overall bench could get very heavy.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I built the bench from their plans and hardware kit, but used my own wood. Although I did modify the top quite a bit, the leg assemblies and stretchers are unchanged. They're rock solid. Since I made my top a bit larger and eliminated the tool well I'm guessing it weighs quite a bit more than their split slab version. Between that, the tools on the shelf I layed across the stretchers, and some rubber disks on the bottom of the leveling feet to prevent skating - it don't budge.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique