Question on Topcoat usage

Hi all,

Just purchased a Delta TS350 (yep, I know there are much better saw's, but this fit my constraints on space right now).

Anyway, after seeing many posts about Topcoat here, I picked up a can when at my local Woodcraft. Unpacked the saw, cleaned it with kerosene (sp?) per the instructions, checked it with a dial-caliper (blade was only out by 0.003"), then pulled out the Topcoat.

Read the directions (Spray on a light coat, let dry for a couple of minutes, wipe off). Seemed pretty simple, so I sprayed on a light coat, waited a couple of minutes and wiped off with a paper towel. I looked at the table and it looked like the coverage was thin in a couple of places, so sprayed on a slightly heavier coat, waited, and wiped.

I just checked it tonight (4 nights later), and I'll be darned if there isn't some small amount of rust on it already. Now, I live in Florida (land of liquid air and none-too-intelligent voters), but I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong!!! What exactly does a "light coat" consist of?

Any hints here on where I screwed up would be really appreciated, along with any hints on a good way to remove the existing rust, and correctly protect the top this time!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Trace

Reply to
William Wilson

I have been using TopCote for 15 years in Houston. IIRC when I first started using TopCote the instructions said to put on 2 Liberal HEAVY coats. The more often you put it on the better it works. Total coverage is necessary and the more times you recoat the more likely of total coverage. BTY I do not buff off anymore but simply let it wear off.

I had similar experience with BoeShield on my new saw. I cleaned the new top off immediately applied BoeShield and the nest morning had a lot of rust. I immediately went back to TopCote and seldom if ever find any rust 4 years later.

Reply to
Leon

Ditto ... no problems with TopCote on my TS, BS or jointer table. I don't buff it either, just leave it filmy and let it wear off.

Reply to
Swingman

If the rust is not very bad, WD-40 and a green scrubby thing will remove it. If heavy, buy TopSaver. Great stuff.

Sounds like you need more Topcote. Give it a couple of heavy doses. Repeat a light coat at least once a month in your area.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

don't use Minwax floor wax, it has a slip inhabiter to create more friction, so you don't slip and fall when it's used on your floor.

my Grandpa and Dad used linseed oil to protect from rust, seem to work well, I've never had a rust problem so I haven't done it, so I don't know.

the way I was told to use it, was put on an even coat and let dry for a week

GerryG wrote:

Reply to
Richard Clements

Interesting. From the way it's supposed to work, I thought a single coat would be (or should be) enough. I've alternated at various times between that and using paste wax. My impression is that the wax does a better job of stopping rust, and is of course much cheaper.

Caveat: That was an impression, not an opinion. Other views are sought.

Assuming, of course, the person knows how to apply wax. I say this because I've heard some rather remarkable stories on that.

GerryG

Reply to
GerryG

I remember seein' a couple-few references in the past concerning using automotive Slick50/Duralube/Greased Lightning/Other with the DuPont PTFE oil additive to coat/protect a table saw, or pretty much any, cast iron top... the formula is purported to chemically 'bond' with the metal to coat/seal/protect and reduce friction...

Anyone have any experience with this, or suggestions on application? wipe-on, let soak, wipe-off? I'd hope this bonding process doesn't require the heat of the engine to work, the very notion of stuffing my saw into an oven to bake is ludicrous :P

I only ask because I have access to some quantity of this stuff at a much cheaper (read: Free) price than any of those commercial products, and while I can't seem to find the references in the news archives, I remember someone made it work... anyone? :)

TIA

Reply to
Rekit

it does.

I used the gear lube version in my skilsaw. that saw is still going strong mebbe 15 or 20 years now. 'course these days I don't use it like I used to...

Reply to
bridger

Thanks for all the replies...I clean up the top and drop a couple of heavy coats and see what happens!!

Trace

Reply to
William Wilson