Question: Feather board's 101

I have been wood working for many years off and on but have never used feather board's. After a close call the other day on the table saw and knowing that my cut's could become more accurate I want to start using them. My questions are simple. What angle should the feathers be cut at and where in reference to the blade should the feathers be placed? Thanks in advance. Puff
http://www.woodzone.com/tips/featherboard.htm
And another. http://www.woodshopdemos.com/sstat-15.htm
I just put "making feather board" in a search on google.com, got lots of links back.
Careful though, you can endup chasing rabbits as you can follow other links to other projects too. LOL
The feathers should never go past the front half of the blade. You do not want to be pushing the wood into the blade where it is headed up. I prefer to only have them only go as far as maybe the first inch of the blade. You can go a bit farther with down force feathers, if you have room to push.
I use pre made version but 45 is proably a good angle.
BW
Which is the front end of the blade - the part cutting the wood? So are you saying that the featherboard shouldn't go past the center of the blade?
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Yes, the feather board should hold the wood before it gets to the blade and just past the front cutting edge of the blade. Pinching the wood into the back side of the blade, where it is coming up out of the table is dangerous and will cause blade scoring on the offcut pieces edge.
BW

Actually the feather board should not even be next to the blade at any part at all. The front teeth can still catch the waste and throw it around.
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

the workpiece?? think about it...
Dave
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

The feather board should not be beside any part of the blade, only in front of the teeth. It is senseless to put the feather board against the waist after the waste has been cut free. The waste is naturally going to be pushed into the blade after being cut free. That could have bad results.
You can use featherboards to hold the work against the fence or mounted on the fence to hold the work down.
A board holding work against the fence should not be any further forward than the front edge of the blade.
I prefer a couple of inches back.
To use mounted on the fence you can have one in front of the blade and one behind the blade.
You can find plastic boards in most building supply stores.
I have been wood working for many years off and on but have never used feather board's. After a close call the other day on the table saw and knowing that my cut's could become more accurate I want to start using them. My questions are simple. What angle should the feathers be cut at and where in reference to the blade should the feathers be placed? Thanks in advance. Puff
I don't thing think the angle is as much critical as absolutely not having the feather board past the front cutting edge of the blade. If it is past the front cutting teeth the feather board can push the waste into the teeth as soon as the cut is complete. Then you may get a closer look at the waste.