Question about transferring an image onto wood

I have a 16 x 4 1/2 inch piece of birch wood. I have an ornate design/ logo that I would like transferred to it. Kind of like a skateboard graphic. What would be the best way to achieve this?

Reply to
docgorpon

Hi!

I've seen some shops where they would burn logos/etc en wood, plastic, metal and other materials, by using laser CNC machines. You just give them the logo in Corel (or other vector image formats), and they will grab that in your wood. The also do that for marking gift pens, personal card holders, etc..

Of course, it will really burn the logo on it, but anyway, I like that style..

Best! Nautilus

Reply to
nautilus

Mon, Mar 12, 2007, 1:48pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com doth toss out: I have a 16 x 4 1/2 inch piece of birch wood. I have an ornate design/ logo that I would like transferred to it. Kind of like a skateboard graphic. What would be the best way to achieve this?

Well, as far as I'm concerned you didn't provide enough details to give a valid response.

You want to transfer a design so you can cut it out with a scroll saw? So you can carve it out? Just want to glue a paper design on and leave it? You want a permanent design transferred? I quit trying to read minds lonnnng ago.

For general info, you can trace it, Xerox a copy and iron it on, glue it on, pantograph, burn it on with a magnifying glass, woodburning tool. Lots of ways, just use your imagination.

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

If you are looking to transfer a full graphic image onto wood look into products made to transfer images onto tee shirts from printed images from an ink jet or color laser printer. This subject has been covered several times in the past.

Reply to
EXT

Photosilkscreen, same way they do skateboards. Speedball sells kits complete with photo emulsion. Expose using a high density, high contrast "positive" and a halogen worklamp. Develop with water, dry, load with ink, and print. Any t-shirt shop can burn you a screen for a modest fee if you prefer.

Reply to
Father Haskell

This might help. I purchased some clear paper for a laser printer. I was able to apply it to the wood and apply multiple coats of varnish.

Reply to
DanG