Question about Teaching children WW

My 12yr old daughter is taking a shop class in middle school this year. The entire first week was spent going over rules of the class and writing the alphabet. I looked at th writing and it's done using graph paper and large print. Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time on writing? Is he/she trying to get them to draw straight lines in preparation of marking or something like that?
Mike Alameda, CA
Mike Dembroge wrote:

Is this being done freehand or with compass and t-square? If the latter then it's practice in drafting.
--John
Mike,

That's a great question, one that I think the teacher could answer. I would think that he or she would love to have some time with a parent who knows something about woodworking. Call them or arrange to meet her/him.
MJM
On Sep 7, 12:50 pm, "Mike Dembroge"

If they were doing big bubble letters I'd guess they were going to scroll saw letters, maybe their names.

BECAUSE, the instructor is also teaching basic drafting. There is lots of lettering practice for the beginner learning drafting. Good for him.
Mike Dembroge wrote:

If the school system in California is similar to the current NY system the instructor's lesson might be the first step in teaching the majority of the middle school class how to read. ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Mike Dembroge wrote:

quarter was really a drafting class. Safety was mentioned at least one day a week, even while in the drafting portion of the curriculum. Only after we had completed all of the requisite drawings (including proper block printing)were we able to choose the first of three required projects (one was a wastebasket, solid bottom, ring top, with dowels between, don't remember what the others were). Most of the class wasn't even done with their first project by Christmas... A few of us that didn't have any trouble with the concept of creating and reading drawings were into our second or third project by then. The safety issue was discussed a considerable number of times, and prior to going into the actual shop we had to pass a written test on safety... I guess it stuck, as I still have all my parts oh so many years later. Especially for today's youth, it may seem to be an archaic and laborious process to learn how to produce a drawing, but it really is an essential part of successful woodworking.
--Rick

If they buy a measured drawing from Norm, they'll be prepared to translate it to a full sized drawing. Woodworking means making and reading drawings so I'd guess this is the preliminary.
I'm curious as to why the teacher won't answer you.
�Does anyone know why the instructor is spending so much time on

Mike
Take this opportunity to get on a first name basis with your daughters teachers. It is time to do this.
Bob AZ

So, why in the world would you ask this question in this group instead of simply going to the instructor and asking the question directly?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Open house at the school is not for a few weeks and I thought that there might be some former instructors on this group that would know. It's not a burning issue, I was just curious.
If this question seems inappropriate to you, just hit the little down-arrow key and move on. Dang, I'm remembering now why it is I stopped visiting this news group about 10 years ago...
Mike Dembroge wrote:

One recommendation: If this concerns you, don't wait for an open-house, try contacting the teacher directly. Good teachers don't mind questions from students' parents.