Question about laminating 3 pieces of 1/4" birch plywood

Page 2 of 2
Dick Snyder wrote:

Nope.
Or again you could take Mr Miller's suggestion and use Birch veneer. If you look around you can find it backed with hot-melt glue. Otherwise you can use hide-glue just like they did before vaccuum methods were developed.
Possibly you could use shellac as a hot-melt glue too. I've been meaning to try that.
--

FF

Dick Snyder wrote:

Or do as Mr Miller suggested and cover it with Birch veneer. Probably the birch bending plywood is cheaper, but keep the veneer in mind in case the grain is not to your liking.
--

FF

Dick, I'm with Lew about the Epoxy. If not that, I'd go with Titebond II or III before the poly.
Steam, soak, or 'local hot towel' if you want to use the stuff you already have.
Cut your pieces 'over length' by a good bit. Re-make the form with a tighter curve then the finished lamination {to allow for 'springback'}. Soak the pieces - in the bathtub if necessary. {If still not long enough . . . lay out a piece of plastic, put hot-water soaked bath towels on it, lay the strips of ply on the towels and roll them up, wrapping the plastic around all.}
Take out the ply strips, and clamp to form, piece by piece. Either 'square' at one end and let the other 'stairstep', or let both ends 'stairstep'. DO NOT glue and use LOTS of clamps. Let completely dry . . . I'd go at least a week.
When dry, unclamp, apply glue, and re-clamp. After another week, unclamp, sand sides, and trim to square off ends. Do whatever edge treatment you want and trim to final size just before assembly.

Hi Ron,
This seems like it can work. Any particular Epoxy you would recommend? I can get the pieces in a bathtub. I will do as you suggest.
Thanks.
Dick

I'd follow Ron's advice. I had a question or two on my first bent lamination and his thoughts were right on. As for the wetting I suggested, I know what a piece of ply left out accidentally in the rain looks like!

How are the splits happpening? Is the plywwod actually cracking or is it delamination? Splitting is a little vague here.
What is the radius of the curve? Perhaps instead of 3 piesces of 1/4" you could try 6 pieces of 1/8" Baltic birch.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

The wood was splitting in a line parallel to the grain. I am bending with the grain and it was splitting along the grain and not at the lamination. I have gotten lots of great advice from this group (as usual!) and I am going to get some bending birch (it is made using a radial cut so it has a natural bend to it) from Boulter Plywood here in Boston and I am going to use epoxy to do the lamination rather than the polyurethane glue I had planned on using.