Question about hand planes

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:48:34 -0800, the infamous "Vic Baron"

Bueno.
It's picking it up and walking back to the start which kills you. ;)
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Which is why craftsmen need apprentices.
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 07:09:20 -0500, phorbin wrote:

Nope - #7 feels light, and underpowered, after using my #8 :-).

You want downward pressure on the material as close to to the cutting edge as possible to avoid chipping out.
scott
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:16:36 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I like an adjustable mouth much better than an adjustable frog. Anytime the frog is not flush with the rear of the mouth, it is unsupported. No such problem with an adjustable mouth.
And the new Stanley planes have an adjustable mouth on all models, not just the block planes. I haven't used one of the new ones, but they sure look a lot better than the regular Stanleys.

I am no expert either but it is my understanding that the smaller opening prevents the wood from splitting deeper, you know how you get chip out on some boards with wild grain when run through an electric planer?