Question about Delta scrollsaws

Hi all. I'm looking at getting a scroll saw and am a little confused with Deltas model numbers. There web site shows the SS350, SS250 & SS200. I am looking at the SS350. Most store web sites I look at still have the model numbers as 40-570, 40-540 & 40-530. My first question is are these the same machines with different numbers? Secondly, I remember reading many posts regarding ordering Deltas optional quickset blade locking system. It looks like this is standard on the SS350 (Is this a difference between the two)? Also I have the option to purchase a used Delta 40-601 vs 18 inch in excellent condition. Would you scroll sawyers go for the used 18 or a new SS350? I will be using it for hobby type work only and not production run stuff. Also is the quickset blade lock option compatable with the older

40-601? Thanks for the help....JD
Reply to
john

That numbering was confusing to me also. I ordered my SS350 from Rockler and am real happy with it. It has the quick change blade system.You might want to check out the scrollsawing forum at

Blue

As has been mentioned often, Delta has reorganized its system. Consumer-grade products are no longer numbered as their intermediate and industrial grade tools.

I've a 46-601 "C" arm saw, iron arm incarnation, and it is capable of doing better work than I, I'm sure. It cuts with a rocking motion, rather than a straight up and down, which can make a modest difference in some types of work. Clears dust and heats blades less than strictly verticals with the same blade IMHO.

Reply to
George

"George" wrote in news:dLNVa.24017$ snipped-for-privacy@kent.svc.tds.net:

What is a good price for a 46-601?

Rich Andrews

One which seems so to you, I suppose. Couple hundred for one in top shape would be a high.

Reply to
George

John, Hi. I don't know about Delta scrollsaws. I have an 18" Ryobi I paid $60 (plus shipping) for. It was new-in-the-box. I really like it. Sure beats the one I had as a kid...that had a vibrating motor....and BOY did it vibrate...it could wake the dead. I haven't used it for really precise scrolling yet...just some free-hand miter cuts on ½" quarter-round moulding. You can see it at...

my 2 cents. Have fun! BigJoe

Reply to
BigJoe