query about a used general 350

Folks -

Me again, with another TS question.... If'n it were in good shape (some dings), what would a 3hp right tilt General 350, with a 50 Bies (don't know type) and an HTC mobile base be worth?.... I am trying to get some pics...

ANY help would be appreciated...

John Moorhead

Reply to
john moorhead

$800 to $1100 (USD) (new are $2150 IIRC)

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

It is worth every penny as long as its not being sold for retail. That would be silly.

No, no, don't walk away thinking I'm just running over you and your question. I'm absolutely serious about this. Consider this singular line of thinking for a moment.

Let's say you get a coupon from your local dealing giving you a measly 20% off the purchase of a saw. The first thing you'd do is post a neener here. The second thing you'd do is go buy the saw. You'd then post a follow up neener here.

Now granted, this is for a new saw but a used saw in good condition cuts the same. Cosmetics (to a degree) have no affect on how a saw performs and if this saw is as it was described it sounds "new in box" mechanically.

There are those who will tell you that 50% of new and then up or down for condition is the rule of thumb and I am one of those but that's only a formula for establishing a base line. Now you have to take into account the fact that here sits the last saw you'll ever buy (Generals don't grow on trees this far south making it particularly tasty). You can snatch it up right now and be done or you can cut bait to fish another day. Personally I'd give this saw some very hard consideration no matter the price.

Now, let's say the seller just downed a gallon of Boone's Farm, snorted cocaine and mainlined some speed, in other words, he's high. I would approach him without malice and strike up a friendly conversation. Don't blind side him, just be yourself (maybe) and be frank with him. In the end explain to him that you have $XXXX and that's all you can afford to pay. You might be surprised.

I realize I haven't answered your question, just want to warn you off thinking that a machine has a "set" value. They don't.

You aren't asking for volunteers to move it, no?

UA100, who would buy a General in a heart beat if there wasn't a cabinet saw in the basement shoppe already...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

That saw w/ the base, and General Bies clone, is about $1950 new here at Tools-Plus. I'd go $800-1100 depending on the condition, maybe $1200 for a mint saw.

I just looked at a new one last week.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

This is a very nice saw and nice fence, comparable to a Powermatic 66. My guess is $1200-1400, US dollars.

Reply to
Phisherman

In good working order, any price, reasonable to you and below retail plus shipping, that you can establish with the seller. The saw itself is certainly "worth" careful consideration, as it is a mighty fine cabinet saw.

Reply to
Swingman

In that case you make sure he has your contact information a couple of different ways, make an excuse, then wait for him to get a Jones.

I don't like associating with these people but when their broke and wanting a buzz they'll sell anything cheap.

Reply to
Mark

Me? I'd pay at least US$10 for it. Not a whole lot more -- don't have any place I could use it now, nor in the forseeable future. Storage from now till 'whenever' gets expensive.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi