Quality Dog Door

Page 1 of 2
Anybody ever built a _nice_ dog door? The commercially available ones don't meet the grade. Tips or ideas requested.
Requirements: Through-the-wall in wood stud construction - not through an existing door. Seals the weather out Opens both ways. The hanging arrangement with the pivots on center of the sides near the top is okay. Opening, 26 x 11 inches, to accommodate a large dog. But I want a puppy to be able to open it. I'm thinking the material should be wood, but I'm open to aluminum and glass. Must look good.
I'm considering a dog house on the outside to function as a foyer, but for the moment, consider that a separate project.
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:51:29 -0600, "Matthew"

Yeah. The fact that you've got a dog will probably be enough to keep the local cats out. But that doesn't faze the skunks, raccoons and some other critters. Especially not once they figure out there's dog food on the other side of the door.
--RC

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:15:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Easy. Put an electric latch on there and teach the dog to use the button! <G>
We live in town -- so the local population of critters is pretty much limited to those on leashes. Maybe it's just because the Airdale Terriorist is great at border patrol...
Matthew

Mon, Jan 24, 2005, 5:40am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Matthew) wildly exclaims: We live in town -- so the local population of critters is pretty much limited to those on leashes. <snip>
Apparently you missed the PBS show on urban racoons - which was filmed in a city, not a town. A few months a deer was killed on a street that runs along the main street in the town I live near - well within the town limits. Years back, one of my son's friends hit a deer on the main highway, also well within the town limits. And, of course, there's always the roadkill proof, 'possums, skunks, raccoons, all well within the town limits. And, you're forgetting rats, squirrels, some type of toad in Florida (and alligators), and no telling what else, besides kids, burglars, loose dogs, vindictive ex-wives, mothers-in-law, etc.
JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get. - Albert
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

Of course, there are transponder-equipped pet doors (transponder goes on pet's collar). That only lets in the specific animal. One guy had one of these and got tired of his cat bringing in mice, so he "rewired it" *grunt grunt* to use pattern recognition and a digital camera. If the cat has a critter in it's mouse it will not be let in.
http://www.quantumpicture.com/Flo_Control/flo_control.htm
Shawn
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

It would at my house. They'd kill about anything smaller than a bobcat, I expect. I sure wouldn't want to find out what they'd do with a skunk though. One of my dogs got skunked, then got in my car, eight years ago, and it still smells like skunk.
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:11:19 -0500, Silvan

Raccoons are plenty tough, but with a skunk in the fight, it doesn't matter who wins -- you lose.
--RC

------------ I'd take a hint from magnetic cat doors. The good ones swing both ways, have a magnet that centers the door flap down, and has felt weather stripping to keep out bugs and wind. The also have a sliding switch that enables you to lock the door, or only let it open in one direction or the other.
Of course the cat doors are plastic, and meant for a cutout in an existing door, but if you could apply the principles to a nice wooden dog door meant for through the wall installation, you might have something highly marketable.
Examples: http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?cm_ven=ink&cm_ite=sku&cm_pla=unknown&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id%34374302023690&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id%34374302033663&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id 5524441775519&bmUID06519521784 http://www.fancypaws.com/camacatdo.html http://www.smarthome.com/6195.html
That design isn't just for cats. I have one like that sized (and sold) for dogs. My cats appreciate the space.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?cm_ven=ink&cm_ite=sku&cm_pla=unknown&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id%34374302023690&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id%34374302033663&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id 5524441775519&bmUID06519521784
Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

www.dogdoors.com/cgi/smart.cgi?command=listitems&type=group&groupst i have found these to be the best so far. i have been thru several cheap ones. these have have felt and aluminum

I'll second that recommendation. I also have tried other dog doors, and will not use anything but Plexidor ever again. My Newfoundlands (150 pounds and not gentle with the door) have been bashing their way in and out dozens of times every day for years, and this door just keeps swinging. I even recommended it to my boss. After he got done choking on the price, he ordered one for his Bull Terrier, and thanked me after his dog had used it just one day. Definitely big bucks, but they last and last, and really keep the weather out. Lewis
Do you know the patent number for that door? Thanks, Sam
Sorry, not a clue. Lewis

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

Sounds big enough for a burglar (assuming you take your dog on vacation with you!). Don't neglect some method to well-secure the door.
He can always leave the pet alligator at home.

with
- JerryMouse -

vacation with

- Nehmo Most burglars around are black, and they're afraid of dogs. Just seeing a dog door may be enough to deter them, and crawling through one into unknown dog-protected territory would take a determined burglar indeed.
But that's one of the advantages of a dog house on the outside of a dog door. The dogdoor wouldn't be visible from the outside and the extra step necessary for entry, crawling into the dog house, would make the burglary more of a challenge.
On this particular planned dogdoor, it would be open all the time. However, a latch or locking mechanism would be worth having because you never know. The house's occupants may want to leave someday with all the dogs, as you said, perhaps on vacation.
--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

What the fuck? Bet you hang out on the rec.pets.dogs ng right?