Q: Steel City Tool Works 35606 10" 3hp

I am fairly certain these are a three belt affair but cannot find it in their literature.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

D'ohBoy

Reply to
D'ohBoy

Check the parts list at the back of the manual--it's got a single belt, lightweight trunnions, etc.. Basically that saw is a hybrid, with the guts of a contractor saw mounted to the cabinet. For many people it will be completely adequate.

The 35623 is the "real" cabinet saw with 3 belts, and it weights about

130 lbs more than the 35606. It also costs $750 more.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Thanks, Chris.

I really don't need a "real" cabinet saw.... hmmmm.... I guess having only one belt, the blade will prolly be more likely to stall in wood.

But having three horses, it will chew the belt up faster, maybe?

Hmmmm... also considering the Delta Hybrid but like the 5 year warranty on the Steel City.

Anyone have the Steel City?

Thanks again.

D'ohBoy

Reply to
D'ohBoy

Why do you ask? Powermatic has been using a single serpentine belt on their

66 for years. If it has the serpentine belt with work as well as 3 belts and tends to not vibrate as much as regular v-belts.
Reply to
Leon

I wouldn't be particularly worried from that standpoint unless the intent is to do a lot of heavy-thickness, extremely hard (harder than just oak/maple). A single belt is easily capable of 3-hp if properly tensioned w/o excess wear.

--

Reply to
dpb

I have the Steel City 35675 3hp Hybrid Saw. It has a single ribbed belt driving the arbor. The belt is a bit more robust than the 1.75hp saws but it must be carefully installed on the pulleys in order to transfer the full power of the larger motor. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to align the belt on the pulleys with the table in place. I made the mistake of removing mine, re-installing it not riding on all the ribs and the belt failed. Steel City replaced it within 3 day, no questions asked. I really like this saw with a few caveats.The base of all these Orion saws is too small for the big top and wings to ride on a mobile base without rocking somewhat. After having my saw rock while making a narrow cut (with push stick) I removed the mobile base and am lots happier with the stability now. The gearing is not much more robust than a contractors saw, (this goes for all the hybrids). I hear that Steel City will be featuring a stone table on this saw soon. This might be a reason to consider it. However, If you are wanting a "Real Cabinet Saw" this isn't it. i.e. Look at the Grizzly

Reply to
bookman