*Putting* water in your DC collection bin?

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:56:33 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Hehe! Hate em. Had one the other day. As soon as he saw the dog he commented that she was "Juuust not overweight" (she's not overweight), and then told her to sit (which the bugger did much faster for him than for me, but hey, it was probably surprise) for no reason at all. Then he said "shake, and held his hand down to her paw. I said "She doesn't shake" ......and he just held his hand there. It felt good to see her just Sit, as ordered and look at him! <G>.
I reckon they are just one step form the guys who can't help hitting on everyone's partner. It's a power thing.
I can understand why you get the average retriever to learn to shake water on command! However, all my dogs have learned that one. As was said it's very useful. ***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Old Nick wrote:

My favorite in that regard was the mutt (i.e. of no identifiable breed--the closest one could narrow it down to was that it wasn't a cat) that learned a command that sounded an awful lot like "sit". He didn't know or do "sit" but sometimes if someone told him to "sit" he'd do the command that he did know.

--
--John
βœ–

Ah. _That_ breed is often described as a 'purebred Heinz'
Then there was the time a guy took one of those critters into a bar where a bunch of dog fanciers were holding session. Who immediately start ridiculing the new arrival. Eventually, one of the guys asks the newcomer "Just _what_ kind of a dog *is* that, anyway?" The reply: "he's a Mexican Spitz." Which sets the crowd off, again. Somebody deigns to explain "There ain't any such animal." Whereupon the dog looks up, and says "Seρor? Ptui!"

him to expectorate on command. *grin*
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@emenaker.com (Joe Emenaker) wrote in message

IMHO, you shouldn't cut ferrous metals on woodworking machines. Brass or aluminium maybe, if you have nothing better, but steel swarf is hard to clean up and can cause a lot of wear and damage. It's also filthy stuff for things like "iron stain" on oak.

Bad idea IMHO. If you have a steel cyclone, you're asking for corrosion problems - especially if you then fill it with greenish oak dust, or something equally acidic. It wouldn't even work - the sawdust will soak up any free water, so you'd have to be adding gallons of it to have any effect.
I'd just empty the DC collector before throwing sparks into it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I've "tried" it. Sort of. Put a dehumidifier in the workshop and forgot to turn it off while working. You know, they make paper out of wood fibers, and that's what I had in the wet cooling vanes and in and on the collection bucket.
The kind they make to catch lint from the dryer doesn't work that well, either.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Joe, I do a fair amount of cutting and welding in my dual purpose shop. I put the DC in primarily to keep sawdust from building up and becoming a fire danger when I weld, grind or cut.
I never use the DC when working with metals. This can have very devastating results, fire being the greatest danger. A hot piece may smolder in the sawdust for a few minutes or even hours, then combust when you are sleeping!
The steel swarf, if left un-attended too, will rust the cast iron tables. It is a pain, but when switching between wood and iron work, a good cleaning is required.
I just finished a project that involved both trades. Pictures are in ABPW - A very secure cabinet.
Dave

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@emenaker.com (Joe Emenaker) wrote in message

It's amazing, …..like whispering a word around a circle, when we were kids, and finding it returned indistinguishable from its beginning. This may be a bit hasty, but, I am concluding from my experience reading both the Cruising World Sailing Board and Woodworking Rec, any thread greater than 7 entrees is bound to be off topic by the 8th. I can imagine, though, with some concentrated imagination, how some were able morph DC into Dogs and Cats. Regards, Richard
Add pictures here
βœ–