Purpose of Relief Cut on Back of Baseboard Molding

"Father Haskell" wrote

Standard practice for a hack, yes, not a skilled finish carpenter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Usually baseboard is applied over drywall. Drywall is hung on studs. Studs are put up by framing carpenters. I don't think it's necessary to comment on the accuracy standards of a framing carpenter.

Reply to
Larry W

Yeah, a real hack job by a real hack:

go figure, eh?

Reply to
Swingman

Combine that with the wavy new cardboard baseboard and you have a nightmare which begs for caulking to give it some semblance of order.

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And that remodel was probably installed by truly skilled craftsmen who are getting paid for results, not lowest bid contractors. Has TOH ever done a remodel for less than a cool million?

In the real world, both the walls and ceiling would be wavy and nearly the whole length of every wall would require caulk to make it look nice, both at the base and crown.

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Apparently there are no hard to please clients in google/wikipedia, where the temperature is a constant 72, the sky is always cloudless, and all baskets go swoosh ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

My step-father would be laughing himself silly watching that. He'd make a perfect fit and never used caulk. Remember when paneling was big in the

1960's? People used corner strips. If he did the job, he'd charge extra for each corner that did not use a corner trim. He'd miter the two pieces (using a circular saw) of paneling and make a perfect corner.

Most of the work he did was in high end houses. When he became too sick to work any more, one homeowner sent a car every day to pick him up, drove him to the house so he could supervise and train two finish carpenters putting in trim such a special custom milled baseboard. You can bet they use no caulk.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Of course he didn't, the painter who followed him up did.

Reply to
Swingman

Well, shit... of course he needed to use caulk. He was using a Kapex to cut the mitres!

Reply to
Robatoy

LOL ... but I really do like that Miterfast Angle Transfer Device:

worth having just on general principles ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I use a Bosch digital protractor and divide by2. The gauges on my mitre saws are calibrated as best as I know, and the consistent results seem to bear that out....BUT, that Festool tool, dammit, seems a whole lot easier and idiot proof and my division skills get all head- achy when it comes to degrees, minutes, and seconds. I still think we should metricate(?) angular measurements..like a full circle is 1000 degrees.

Reply to
Robatoy

For $140...

Metrification already been done, but it's not 1000 divisions per circle, rather 2*Pi. Now that'll make you head hurt when cutting crown molding (makes it easy for engineers). ;-)

Reply to
krw

As an old redleg Artilleryman, that would be 6400 mils ...

Dealing with Festool stuff lately I'm getting fairly conversant with metric again, but I do have an inches to metric converter app on my DroidX just in case.

Leon and I both now have Festool's Parallel Guide Sets for precision breaking down of full sheets of plywood and they're all metric. So much easier to have 20 or 30 sheets delivered and just cut on top of the stack with a 4 x 8 piece of foam:

too damn old and stiff to do otherwise ...

Reply to
Swingman

Slick as snot, wot?

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote>>

I wanna know why he did not cope the corners.

Reply to
Morgans

Keep this in mind also. Seldom is a baseboard painted on both sides, unless preprimed. What happens to a piece of thin lumber that is only milled on one complete side? Normally it will warp/cup. Solution, mill both sides. I always do this when planing boards.

Reply to
Leon

You're kidding, right?

Reply to
Swingman

One of our timberframers worked on a Tom Silva job and said he was the most organized, classiest, all-out best contractor he'd ever been involved with. JP

Reply to
Mark Whittingham

You started about painting both sides and switched to, milling both sides???

Reply to
Josepi