Purpose of Relief Cut on Back of Baseboard Molding

Page 2 of 3

Standard practice for a hack, yes, not a skilled finish carpenter.

Usually baseboard is applied over drywall. Drywall is hung on studs. Studs are put up by framing carpenters. I don't think it's necessary to comment on the accuracy standards of a framing carpenter.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:04:17 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Combine that with the wavy new cardboard baseboard and you have a nightmare which begs for caulking to give it some semblance of order.
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
On 11/26/2010 10:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, a real hack job by a real hack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqjef8_ZW2E&feature=player_embedded

6:52
... go figure, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Ooh, _tasty_ lookin' lady! What was the video about, anyway?

And that remodel was probably installed by truly skilled craftsmen who are getting paid for results, not lowest bid contractors. Has TOH ever done a remodel for less than a cool million? <g>
In the real world, both the walls and ceiling would be wavy and nearly the whole length of every wall would require caulk to make it look nice, both at the base and crown.
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
On 11/27/2010 8:16 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Apparently there are no hard to please clients in google/wikipedia, where the temperature is a constant 72, the sky is always cloudless, and all baskets go swoosh ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

My step-father would be laughing himself silly watching that. He'd make a perfect fit and never used caulk. Remember when paneling was big in the 1960's? People used corner strips. If he did the job, he'd charge extra for each corner that did not use a corner trim. He'd miter the two pieces (using a circular saw) of paneling and make a perfect corner.
Most of the work he did was in high end houses. When he became too sick to work any more, one homeowner sent a car every day to pick him up, drove him to the house so he could supervise and train two finish carpenters putting in trim such a special custom milled baseboard. You can bet they use no caulk.
On 11/27/2010 9:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Of course he didn't, the painter who followed him up did.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/27/2010 10:04 AM, Swingman wrote:

LOL ... but I really do like that Miterfast Angle Transfer Device:
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/sliding-compound-miter-saws/general-accessories/miterfast-angle-transfer-device-494370.html
Be worth having just on general principles ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I use a Bosch digital protractor and divide by2. The gauges on my mitre saws are calibrated as best as I know, and the consistent results seem to bear that out....BUT, that Festool tool, dammit, seems a whole lot easier and idiot proof and my division skills get all head- achy when it comes to degrees, minutes, and seconds. I still think we should metricate(?) angular measurements..like a full circle is 1000 degrees. <G>

For $140...

Metrification already been done, but it's not 1000 divisions per circle, rather 2*Pi. Now that'll make you head hurt when cutting crown molding (makes it easy for engineers). ;-)
On 11/27/2010 11:55 AM, Robatoy wrote:

As an old redleg Artilleryman, that would be 6400 mils ...
Dealing with Festool stuff lately I'm getting fairly conversant with metric again, but I do have an inches to metric converter app on my DroidX just in case.
Leon and I both now have Festool's Parallel Guide Sets for precision breaking down of full sheets of plywood and they're all metric. So much easier to have 20 or 30 sheets delivered and just cut on top of the stack with a 4 x 8 piece of foam:
http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/DurretteKitchenShopPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaJgYOqgKvOVw#5542196561727881746
Getting too damn old and stiff to do otherwise ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Slick as snot, wot?
On 11/27/10 10:32 AM, Swingman wrote:

<http://www.festoolusa.com/products/sliding-compound-miter-saws/general-accessories/miterfast-angle-transfer-device-494370.html
If anyone is interested, this one has a more modest price..
http://www.affinitytool.com/boraanglemaster.html
--

-MIKE-

On 11/29/2010 11:47 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Thanks ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/29/10 7:22 PM, Swingman wrote:

Sure thing! You can send me some of that green weasel stew you were cookin up after Thanksgiving. :-p
--

-MIKE-

On 11/29/2010 7:35 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Not sure about the color, but it was the same color as leftover turkey, chicken, sausage and okra GUMBO, if that helps ... ;)
<last of the pot is heating up for supper as we speak>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Well, shit... of course he needed to use caulk. He was using a Kapex to cut the mitres!

I wanna know why he did not cope the corners.
--
Jim in NC

On 11/27/2010 4:05 PM, Morgans wrote:

You're kidding, right?