Pully Sizes? Craftsman Table Saw

Hi,

I have just bought a model 113.29991 ten-inch Sears Craftsman table saw. It is powered by a 3/4 HP sears motor rated at 1750 rpm (5/8 inch shaft). I plan to replace the pullies but I'd like to be sure of the proper sizes. Can anybody give me some guidance on this? Much thanks.

Lenny

Reply to
Lovegod Tillman

Check your blade suggested rpm, or, as is usually the case, make it so the blade rotates at about 4200 rpm. Arbor belt a touch smaller than half of the motor.

Reply to
George

"Lovegod Tillman" wrote in news:egOde.4404$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

They make a kit that has the pulley and a lenght of link belt that fits the craftsman saw. One of the best things I ever did for mine. Cut vibration a substantal amount and increased power. I know Woodcraft sells the upgrade, I am sure others must as well. As I recall the price was somewhere in the high 50's US $. If you really need the size let me know and I will measure it.

Reply to
Bruce Wiseman

Careful! That kit's for a 3450 motor. If he has a 1725, it'll be a while before he gets through a four foot board.

Reply to
George

"George" wrote in news:4278a861$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

Yea, your right, sorry. Is it possible they make one for the 1725? It would have the same issues with cast pulleys and belt slipping, wouldn't it?

Reply to
Bruce Wiseman

No, standard motors have been 3450 for so long - 40 years I can vouch for, that it wouldn't be worth it.

I don't believe machined versus cast make a hell of a lot of difference when you're talking small diameters and a self-hung motor. The differences would have to be so gross as to be visible.

Reply to
George

shaft). I

I rebuilt SWMBO's father's Craftsman tablesaw a few years ago. I don't know the number, but it was the cast iron top contractor saw built by Emerson Electric.

It had a 3450 rpm motor and two 2-1/2" white metal pulleys on the motor and arbor shafts. These had each worn their bores oval and you could see them wobble.

I replaced them with machined steel pulleys and linkbelt. The arbor bearings were also sloppy so I replaced them, too. Lined everything up and the saw vibration was much reduced. (Just vibration from the motor now.)

Double check your motor rpm. If it is 1750, then double the motor pulley size to 5" so the blade turns fast enough. Double check the belt clearance with everthing with the blade up and down to make sure the larger motor pulley doesn't drive the belt into anything. If there is clearance trouble you can't adjust for, that'll force you to a smaller motor pulley.

If you don't have a manual, check the Sears website. Failing that, go to the Ridgid tools website and download one of their tablesaw manuals. Emerson Electric now makes the Ridgid saws. The alignment and belt tensioning instructions are helpful.

Good luck,

Tim

Reply to
tim124c41

1725, it'll be a

the 1725? It

slipping, wouldn't

No, standard motors have been 3450 for so long - 40 years I can vouch for, that it wouldn't be worth it.

I don't believe machined versus cast make a hell of a lot of difference when you're talking small diameters and a self-hung motor. The differences would have to be so gross as to be visible.

Reply to
Boots