Public Lumber in Detroit

This indoor lumber yard is located on 7 Mi. rd. just east of I-75 and has a really nice selection (I'd estimate 30-40 species) of exotic & domestic lumber and a TON of pre-made trim in about a dozen woods.
I walked out with some lignum vitae (pulled from the walnut rack by mistake ... it was pretty dark back by that rack and I wasn't familiar with the relative weights of either ... looks like a curly piece of walnut until you try to pick it up) for the price of jatoba and some plain-sawn cherry.
No gloat ... just a positive referral.
Bill
rascal less in the world.
It's a fun place, isn't it?
Being a woodturner, I have to stay away from Public Lumber... and certainly never go upstairs where they throw the offcuts. Last time I was there, I had to make two trips to get it all home...
Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Michael Latcha wrote:

I agree ... oh, wait ... I think I hear the stairs calling my name!
BTW ... we're basically neighbors. I used to live on Salem S. of the golf course and now hang my hat a couple blocks behind the Marathon station at 96 & Telegraph.
Bill
rascal less in the world.
Good Lord... I'm at 5/Beech, right in the heart of the "Gateway." I'm surprised we haven't buried each other in wood shavings.
The golf course, BTW, is a wonderful source of free wood...
Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Michael Latcha wrote:

I'm in Ackroyds a couple times a month for some bridies. ;-)
Mike ... what sort of wood? I'll confess that I don't get out of doors as often as I perhaps should, but most of my wood-scrounging has netted little more that 1/2 punk stuff.
Is it cut or wind felled?
OTOH, I already have a couple of racks drying that I have yet to get to. Slippery elm, pear & box elder from the Kingdom Hall site at I-96 & WOD. Majorly curly maple from a couple doors away from me (the LIMB that fell was 3' dia.!). Ash from Farmington, apple from Monroe, birch from a couple blocks away and willow from Westland.
Bill
rascal less in the world.
Mostly maple, some well-figured, most with at least some birds-eye. Some walnut, cherry, sycamore, oak... typical old-growth SE Michigan wood. Most wind-damaged trees that are being trimmed and pruned. Lots of crotches and forks with their own added figuring.
I live close enough to hear the chain saws start up after a storm... and I come running.
Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Speaking of golf courses...I'm originally from Dearborn...and used to golf up at Glenhurst GC on 6 Mile. That course had some outrageously old timber...I'm guessing almost-300-year-old oak and maple. THAT might be worth checking out...

I just discovered this place last fall by using woodfinder.com. Next time I go there, I will duct tape the wallet and credit cards before I go inside.
Phil
Phil-in-MI wrote:

I accomplish the same thing by taking my wife with me when I go to Woodcraft or Rocklers.
A) "Do you have to have this?" B) "Can we afford it?" C) "My pantyhose are cutting me in half. I wanna go now." ("Now" means "NOW!" ... that whatever is in my hands can stay there, but the tour of the store is officially over and we are 30 seconds from a long, sullen, ride home.)
Bill
rascal less in the world.