Pretty wood

Page 1 of 2
There have been several L O N G off topic posts recently so I thought I'd start one that was ON topic and still allow y'all to comment, rave, rant, discuss, etc. at great length :)
What do you think is the prettiest hardwood, domestic or imported? ___________
MY THOUGHTS
A lot of you seem to favor cherry but it leaves me cold. Nothing wrong with it, just doesn't grab me.
Neither does maple except for curly or birdseye.
Oak - white oak - is one of my favorites...hard, strong, works easily but I would never call it pretty. Not even with a flake figure.
Hickory is nice, rather like it.
Birch isn't in the running, neither is beech.
Walnut is a different story...works nicely, nice color, interesting grain but not much figure. It would be my nomination for domestic wood. _____________
I haven't used a lot of imports...mahogany, khaya, makore, utile, nogal, Phillipine mahogany, maybe 2-3 more.
Nogal (Peruvian walnut) isn't as attractive as black walnut and is softer but it can be very dark, almost black. Handy sometimes.
I wouldn't characterize either makore or utile - especially utile - as very attractive but they aren't bad looking.
I think Phillipine mahogany is way under rated. Some of them are very nice. Even rotary cut luan ply is useful...very plain grain which I prefer in large expanses to things like Brazilian rosewood. Not too many years ago there were acres and acres of Brazilian rosewood ply covering lobbies, board rooms, elevators and meeting rooms. Used to make my head spin.
Both mahogany and khaya are nice, among my favorites (sapele too) but my pick for prettiest wood is koa.
Wonderful and varied color, looks like mahogany on steroids. Used to be that it was easy to get highly figured boards too but nowadays they are all picked over by large shops before the boards ever see the light of retail day. Biggest problem with koa is the price...now $45+- per board foot. I used to get it for $0.50 <sigh> when walnut and teak were in the $1.25 - 1.35 range.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Heart sweetgum (domestic) is hard to beat and easy to turn.
--
Gerald Ross

If the shoe fits, put it in your mouth.

If you have insurance and want to take it. I have a large sweetgum in my Grants Pass, OR front yard and would like it removed. Free to insured party. Must take all. (Roots, too!) Want the maple and the redwood and a doug fir, too? Take 'em!
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
Larry Jaques wrote:

Either cut to length and loaded on my truck or delivered next to my shop.
--
Gerald Ross

If the shoe fits, put it in your mouth.
On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:

For domestic, USA, Mesquite, wish I could afford the big pieces. Followed by Walnut, White Oak.
Favorite import,
Zircote,
http://www.rosewoodarchery.com/images/200zircote.jpg
Bocote,
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/bocote /
Wenge
http://www.pawbrandflooring.com/AfricanWenge-open-grain.asp
Zebra,
http://www.nitsugamangore.com/zebrawood-cedar-guitar.html

Cocobolo is one of my favorites.
http://www.advantagelumber.com/cocobolo.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I'm with Nova on this one. Although I saw a lot of other drool-worthy woods in my Central American travels.
Luigi
On 8/18/2011 10:02 AM, Luigi Zanasi wrote:

About 25 years ago I built a cocobolo and padauk coffee table. A couple of years ago I dismantled it and resurface the top. The link is to the freshly drum sanded top.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6057623438/in/photostream
Leon wrote:

Gotta love those drum sanders :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 8/31/2011 11:18 AM, Tom B wrote:

Thank you.
On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:

My favorite wood (regardless of imported vs. domestic) is Mesquite. Beautiful color, beautiful figure, strong, stable, hard (but not too hard), and a joy to work with tools, both hand and power. The only downside (IMO) is that the trees are so scraggly it's hard to find good clear lumber in usable sizes at a decent price.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 8/16/2011 4:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

... and you can't beat the scraps for cooking a steak.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/16/2011 6:49 PM, "<<<__ Bb __>>>" wrote:

I guess I should mention my etimoe veneer is highly figured like this. http://tinyurl.com/3qnksaf
On 8/20/2011 8:30 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

On 8/16/2011 4:38 PM, Swingman wrote:

And there's that too!
says...

I agree. Argentinian black mesquite is wonderful and it grows as a big tree down there so lumber in substantial sizes is available. Or was until the regulators decided to pull the plug on the trade.
On 8/16/2011 4:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

My grandmother, aunts and uncles lived about 50 miles south of San Antonio back when I was a kid. The highway between SA and Charlotte Tx was littered with huge Mesquite trees. I remember the trunks being 2-3 feet in diameter and 20-25 feet tall. My uncle raised cattle and obviously had a lot of pasture covered with mesquite trees. We would cut them down and use the limbs for fire wood and or to BBQ. I have a chunk of Mesquite that is about 18" long x3x3 that I salvaged out of one of the limbs, 25-30 years ago. Still waiting for the perfect project.... Maybe I'll cut it into veneers.
On 8/16/2011 7:22 PM, Leon wrote:

I know the feeling. I have some pieces that have been lying around here for probably 10 years that I'm still trying to figure how to best use them. Sounds like veneers would be a good choice for yours. Fire up the Laguna!