Precise angle cut with a circular saw?

I'm a total newbie to woodworking, so i apologize in advance for the ignorance. The question is, how do i cut a precise angle with a circular saw? I'm building a couple sawhorses for a bigger project, and i can do a bevel cut, but can't figure out how to measure and cut a precise angle (other than 90 degrees... i figured that one out) ;] Is there some kind of gadget that acts as a guide, and is adjustable from 0 to 90 degrees?

Thanks for the help, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rhines

for short cuts a speed square works well.

Bridger

It depends on what you are trying to cut. For sheet goods, like plywood, simply mark the degree angle you need using a protractor and extend it across the sheet. For stock boards (1x4,1x6,2x4, etc) clamp a speed square to the board for a 45 degree cut, or mark it using a protractor, then clamp a guide so that you have something to run the base of the saw against as you cut.

Reply to
Chris Carruth

Probably, but in this case, a little knowledge is better than gadgets, which are fiddlesome and often inaccurate.

For a hand held circular saw, I would use a good square, a rule, and a straight edge to guide the saw. To cut a given angle, use trigonometry to determine the lengths of the two perpendicular sides of a triangle containing the desired angle.

+
Reply to
Jim Wilson

thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Rhines

Bids are up to $5.00 already, sans shipping. HD has a Stanley equivalent for $6.97.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I didn't mean to imply that the OP should buy that particular one- just using it as a convenient image.....

Reply to
Bridger

You might get a kick out of an "almost" product described at

Please do NOT attempt to order. This is not a current product and the web page was only a prototype for a business that never got off the ground.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Porter-Cable had a similar product a whole bunch of years ago. I tried it, didn't much care for it.

Charlie Self "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

fight, just ignorant).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rhines

The idea behind the "almost product" was that after "calibrating" the wooden spar all you would need to do is mark your cut and align the end of the wooden spar with the mark. When using a speed square you have to take into account the offset between the edge of the base of the saw and the blade location. Lee Valley sells two similar saw mitre gauges, see below.

What's better about it than the standard quick square? (I'm not picking a

Reply to
Doug Brown

Jeff...

Doug nailed it. Used with care, it combines extreme accuracy, speed, durability, and convenience - and delivers those benefits equally well to complete newbies and old pros.

It died as a product because I couldn't afford the entry fee - cost of stamping dies + cost of minimum initial production order.

The good news is that all it takes to build your own is 30" of

1"x1", a 12"x12" piece of 1/4" plywood, glue, and screws.
Reply to
Morris Dovey

1x12x8' stock as they are too big and unwieldy to be convient on the chop saw or TS. Or somethimes I use a handsaw cause the circular saw is just to much bother, but that jig would make it convient enough ....

Gonna make me one of those.

Paul K

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Paul...

You made my day! Enjoy...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Stanley makes a speed square with an adjustable bar to dial in any angle. It looks a lot like any old speed square.

The only information on mine is: STANLEY PAT.D290092

Hope it helps.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow