Precise angle cut with a circular saw?

I'm a total newbie to woodworking, so i apologize in advance for the ignorance. The question is, how do i cut a precise angle with a circular saw? I'm building a couple sawhorses for a bigger project, and i can do a bevel cut, but can't figure out how to measure and cut a precise angle (other than 90 degrees... i figured that one out) ;] Is there some kind of gadget that acts as a guide, and is adjustable from 0 to 90 degrees?
Thanks for the help, Jeff
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 04:28:57 GMT, "Jeff Rhines"

for short cuts a speed square works well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item801131885&categoryB337

Perfect... thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com says...

Bids are up to $5.00 already, sans shipping. HD has a Stanley equivalent for $6.97.
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 06:03:49 GMT, Mark & Juanita

I didn't mean to imply that the OP should buy that particular one- just using it as a convenient image.....
Bridger wrote:

You might get a kick out of an "almost" product described at http://www.iedu.com/ssq .
Note: Please do NOT attempt to order. This is not a current product and the web page was only a prototype for a business that never got off the ground.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Morris Dovey writes:

Porter-Cable had a similar product a whole bunch of years ago. I tried it, didn't much care for it.
Charlie Self "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable." Mark Twain

What's better about it than the standard quick square? (I'm not picking a fight, just ignorant).
Jeff
The idea behind the "almost product" was that after "calibrating" the wooden spar all you would need to do is mark your cut and align the end of the wooden spar with the mark. When using a speed square you have to take into account the offset between the edge of the base of the saw and the blade location. Lee Valley sells two similar saw mitre gauges, see below. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? pageH434&category=1,240,45313&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID

Doug Brown wrote:

Jeff...
Doug nailed it. Used with care, it combines extreme accuracy, speed, durability, and convenience - and delivers those benefits equally well to complete newbies and old pros.
It died as a product because I couldn't afford the entry fee - cost of stamping dies + cost of minimum initial production order.
The good news is that all it takes to build your own is 30" of 1"x1", a 12"x12" piece of 1/4" plywood, glue, and screws.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Hey, neat! I often use a handheld saw when roughing out the pieces from 1x12x8' stock as they are too big and unwieldy to be convient on the chop saw or TS. Or somethimes I use a handsaw cause the circular saw is just to much bother, but that jig would make it convient enough ....
Gonna make me one of those.
Paul K
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Paul...
You made my day! Enjoy...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Jeff Rhines wrote...

Probably, but in this case, a little knowledge is better than gadgets, which are fiddlesome and often inaccurate.
For a hand held circular saw, I would use a good square, a rule, and a straight edge to guide the saw. To cut a given angle, use trigonometry to determine the lengths of the two perpendicular sides of a triangle containing the desired angle.
<crude ASCII art; use fixed-pitch font>
+ <-- mark 2 here |\ | \ | \ O | \ | \ | T \ +------ A ^- start of cut ^ `---- mark 1 here
</crude ASCII art>
Suppose you want to cut angle T. You need only remember that
O = A * tan(T)
Use a calculator to find tan(T).
Make a mark an arbitrary distance along the edge of the wood from the point where the cut will start. This is side A (Adjacent) of the triangle. Use whatever length works well for the piece of wood to be cut.
Multiply A times tan(T) to get the length of O, the side Opposite the desired angle T.
Using a square, make a second mark at distance O from the first mark, perpendicular to the edge.
For example, to cut a board at a 30-degree angle:
tan(30) = 0.5774 (approx) Mark 1 for side A, say 10" long. Mark 2 for side O = 5.774", as close as the rule allows.
Use the straight edge to guide the saw from the start of cut through mark 2.
Cheers!
Jim
Stanley makes a speed square with an adjustable bar to dial in any angle. It looks a lot like any old speed square.
The only information on mine is: STANLEY PAT.D290092
Hope it helps. -Phil Crow