Powermatic or General ( finally !!! )

Well... I never thought I would see this day, but it looks like I'm shopping for a new dream table saw. I need to stay in the $2000 range and I am ( I know.... it's been beat to death... ) looking for recommendations on what you would do. I think I'm going for a Powermatic or General, but thinking that maybe one of you know where I can find my best price, or maybe know of someone selling a used one in great condition. I figure I'll get the usual ' you suck ' responses after I get it, but I can live with that. Thanks in advance - Matt

Reply to
Matt Zack

There are two types of GENERAL.....one made in CANADA (the standard in school shops and many pro shops) and GENERAL INTERNATIONAL... imported. The logos look very similiar to the uninformed. Big difference in prices and quality. They say the Canadian made one will stand up to 30 years of abuse by high school shop students... 'nuff said?

Reply to
JuanKnighter

Wonder if the newer Unisaws will do as well as the ones we used in HS and college wood shops 30 years ago?

Reply to
RonB

I'd probably opt for the Powermatic. I think they're both great saws, and anecdotal feedback seems to indicate that General can be a bear to deal with from a customer service standpoint post sale.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Sawstop!

see the movies there and you could do a search for past posted reviews in this group.

Reply to
AAvK

Being a Canadian, I'd opt for the General. I haven't bought one yet, but it's on my wishlist. As far as customer service goes for General, I think it depends on who your service rep is for General and how you deal with them. I've talked to a few General sales reps at more than one woodworking show and to a man, they've all been very accommodating with information, technical details and following up.

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
Matt Zack

I've got a General 650, which I couldn't be happier with. However, I've used plenty of PM66's which I also loved. What impressed me to buy the General was that it's got very little plastic, and a beautiful table that gets the wings shimmed and installed at the factory. Word has it that the saws are assembled upside down. This would be a downside of you need to get the saw up or down stairs, as you'll probably need to disassemble it.

I've also heard that General's tech support can be a pain, but I've honestly never needed them, so I wouldn't know.

I say pick a color...

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I like smooth adjustments and minimal vibration. Has anyone a/b tested both saws?

Also... General has something called the Millineum right now. Is it worth $2069 ? What model is the best General to get? Matt

Reply to
Matt Zack

We had all Northfield tools at my HS shop in the 1980s. Table saw was a

16". I can't even imagine the cost of just the blade.

We also had a 14" or 16" Delta RAS and the thing wasn't usable most of the school year because they couldn't afford a new bearing for the raising/lowering mechanism.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

General Canadian tools are so good you'll probably never have a need for customer service.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

What's both?

You mention a General and nothing else.

I own a General 650 and have used PM66's, new and old Unisaws, the JTAS-10, and a Grizzly Z-series cabinet saw. I didn't specifically test any saw head to head. My individual feelings:

The PM66 & 350/650 are identical in quality. I like the way General installs the wings at the factory, but I like the PM66's polished table. Both are super 10" saws. I cannot see a difference in use between the two.

I think the Jet and current Unisaw are good, but have too many cheaper plastic parts. The Grizz is a quality saw, with fit and finish a small notch below Jet and Delta, but Delta and Jet are quickly sliding down the slippery slope, while Grizzly is getting better.

I think all five are beyond what is needed in a one man shop, hobbyist or pro. They will all cut accurately, and last a good long time. The two more expensive saws have nicer feeling cranks, etc.. but the functions are the same. Personally, I'd look for a used PM, General, or Unisaw. I don't list Grizz or Jet as used candidates, as some of their older stuff was a bit rough.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I have a General 350 for sale but the email I sent bounced because it is invalid.

-Doug

Reply to
bole2cant

"Matt Zack" wrote in news:rcuje.3414$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

The differences between the top line saws are not nearly as important as the differences between the dealers and/or distibutors from whom you can or will purchase the saw.

Availability, shipping, setup, knowing who has the current 'hot deal', who has stock at a good price and wants to move it, who has the accessories that you may need, whose repair services match your needs...

You've said nothing about where you live, so I can't recommend a dealer near you.

It is rumoured that the first production Unisaw built is still in regular service.

Delta's current changes, picking either the Powermatic or the General is an excellent choice.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I have run into three recent PM66 buyers who have been unhappy with their saws. Excessive runout and warped tables. One sold, one returned and one still dealing with customer service. I have nothing against them; I have one - 25 years old that works fine. Whatever you look at, learn how to check the runout and table flatness - new or used.

Reply to
Bernoulli

I own the 650 - have for 2 years. Went through the same research and comparisons your likely dealing with. Looked at them all in person and chose the General - love it. Drop me an email at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com and I'll forward you an article from Wood magazine, October 2003 that did a shootout. General came out on top. That said, I think the 66 is pretty solid. The plastic motor cover turned me off.

Reply to
auto119042

I'm glad you are asking about the "best" price. Many ask about the lowest price and later find that was not the best. Check out your local dealers. When buying a $2000 tool, the dealer service is much more important that saving 20 bucks up front.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good point. A decent working relationship with a vendor can easily save a person hundreds of dollars in frustration and aggravation.

Reply to
Upscale

============>

I was cheap and purchased a Jet Cabinet saw 10 years ago....But my reason for commenting is that I feel that IF customer service for either a Powermatic or General is needed then the machines are over rated...

Never needed Jet Customer service in the 10+ years I've owned the saw and my Jet sure AIN'T no Powermatic or General...

Just my thoiughts..

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.