Powermatic decision

Page 1 of 2
If you had a choice, between a powermatic 66 and a pm2000, which would you choose and why.
I may be forced (?!?!?!) into such a decision. (yeah, that's a bit of a drive-by).
jc

Both are good saws, the 66 is legendary. The 2000 has more convenience and safety features. For a hobby or at home use I seriously doubt that you will ever benefit more from the robust build of the 66 over the 2000. If the saw is run all day long every day for years on end the 66 would probably out last the 2000. I'd go the 2000.

The PM66 because I'm familiar with it and for me, it's the best.

Sorry to toss in other stuff, but... Your two picks and the extra two I'm about to mention all cut wood to identical accuracy.
I would (and did) choose a Canadian-built General 650 over an imported PM66, if I were buying new. I closely fingered, and brutally stewed for months over both saws before I made the decision. One of the things I liked about the General is how the factory assembles and shims the wings. Both saws are super beefy, but the 650 is still built in Quebec to a very high standard. Even though I'm not Canadian, I like those big Maple Leaf stickers on my saw. <G>
I don't think you hear much about General, because apparently they only recently realized that a hobby market existed and therefore didn't advertise much. <G> These folks are not the same General who make cheap steel rulers and plastic dial calipers.
Buying used, in identical condition, I'd probably take an old PM66 over an old 650, but it might be a coin toss or depend on minute details.
If features were my aim, I'd pick a Sawstop over a PM2000.
In fact, I might even choose the Sawstop over my 650 or PM66, if I were buying today, now that I've touched several examples of the Sawstop. Several local dealers carry the Sawstop, and it's a very nicely made tool that cuts just as accurately as the saws mentioned above, except flesh. <G>
There are also days that I consider selling my 650 and buying a Sawstop. Oddly enough, if I were buying again, I might even go right-tilt, as I do far more dadoing and rabbetting than wide bevel ripping. Only once in the last five years have I bevel ripped something wide enough that would not have fit on the left side of the blade.
Good luck, I don't think any of them will be a wrong choice. It may even come down to which one your favorite local guy carries.

I have never used a PM200 so I went to the Powermatic website to get information. Unless I missed it I couldn't find if the saw is left or right tilt. Do you know?
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:06:36 -0800, "Frank Drackman"

I don't know for sure, but I don't think Powermatic has ever made anything but a left tilt saw.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:23:43 -0500, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

My PM66 was built in the USA. In fact, it was built in McMinnville, TN, the state where I live. Sadly, that plant has changed over the years. Today, I'm not sure where PM66s are built. The General 650 is a very fine machine too.
wrote:<snippage>

Where abouts in Tn, Phisherman? I moved from Fl to Chester County Tn about a year ago. Tom
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 08:07:24 -0600, "Tom Bunetta"

Now between the Cumberland and Smokies, nice mild climate and a variety of beautiful hardwoods. Moved from L.A. in '89.

We thought about east TN, but those beautiful mountains cause more swings in the weather... I'm born in Miami and snow is new to me. There's less snow and ice on the SW corner (or so we're told.) Tom
Tom Bunetta wrote:

But the summer humid-duh-deedew is a killer... :(
(25 yrs in Oak Ridge area...)

Atlantic? Not! Tom
Tom Bunetta wrote:

As compared to those, yes--they're at least within some reach of the coastal air movements, Memphis ain't got nuthin' goin' for it in summer...
"dpb wrote:

BBQ and jazz have got to count for something.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

:)

Living 2 hours north of Elvis' resting place I can attest it is both the heat and humidity of August that does not move it just hangs there.....
Mark
<snippage>

If y'all say so... We just went thru a truly HOT summer, but it never seemed as sticky as Fla. And as far as a breeze, most days we had at least a little (we live on top of the hill <G>) Tom

Tough one Joe. Are those your only options?

I've got the 66 and I love it. If someone was just giving away a 2000, I'd take it, it's got a lot of good features, but not enough to make me spend the money to replace my 66. You'll never regret either saw though, it comes down to money and personal preference.
I think it is a pretty hard decision now to not buy the Sawstop. They are fine saws and what is a finger worth? I'd pay that difference to get back the 3/16" bevel I trimmed off of my left pointing finger on a RAS... although it is pointier now.
One dealer I spoke with recently commented how the Sawstop rep told him about the tail of two high schools, one of which balked at the extra cost of a Sawstop and the poor kid who now lives without those few fingers. It can and does happen to anyone. In fact, more and continuing experience just equals more exposure to the risk.
BW