Power tools: What to buy?

hey, it's usenet. off topic, flames and trolls are part of the ticket.
bandsaws are great. tablesaws are great. there is a little overlap of function, but not much. which you get first will depend on what you're planning to do.
Me, I got a table saw and a good jigsaw first. Later I got a band saw. YMMV.

Bandsaws aren't much smaller than table saws. The "saw" part is pretty small, but if you're trying to make it into a table saw replacement, you start needing that big table to support the workpiece.
As a substitute for a table saw, I'd want _at_least_ an 18" bandsaw. Now plenty of people can afford these, or the space for them, but they're not a budget item.
--
Smert' spamionam

oops, I am getting more confuse than I first started. Surely there must be simple list of advantages and disadvantages among the different saws. Scroll, Jig, circular, and band and TABLE (what is this?) If a biginner got to choose, ok, two saws, which two, and what power should he aquire? "Buy the best you can afford?" (I assume all brands are almost made equal if price and power are in the same order.)
How is a 9 " circular saw and a 700 watt jig saw (Bosch 1590 ) combination sounds? The circular saw to go straight, and the jig to go crooket.
Is my Hitachi 9" circular fitted onto Triton 2000 same as a table saw?
chinkc asks:

Why does there have to be? Different saws have different purposes, usually stated in any tool book or article.

What does that beginner want to do? It makes one helluva lot of difference.
And no, all brands are not almost made equal if price and power are the same.

Carpenter's tools. Good ones, but not true woodworking tools as the only saws in a shop.

9" circular? Anyway, it's not the same as a table saw unless you like a hard to adjust, low powered unit. I've got no idea what kind of 9" blades are available, either, but around here, none, so you'd be SOL there, too.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine