Porter Cable stair routing template

They haven't made these things for about 20 years. Probably because they are cast iron and will last forever. I suspect that the other reason is that most builders and carpenters rely on factory built stairs for their projects. I won't give you my opinion on why that is so....
Anyway, can anyone in this group give me a lead on finding one of these bad boys?
Thanks,
Woodsy
Woodsy wrote:

OK...
I thought for sure one of the old timers might chime in with something. Then again, the old timers know how to use the blasted thing, which has a next best use as an achor, and aren't going to give theirs up. They probably won't tell where they saw one hanging in some shop unused either....
So my next tact is asking what material might be best suited for making a stair template. I have seen aluminium templates, but the manufacturer thought they were made of gold, not alum. Plexiglass perhaps????
A little feedback would be helpful.
Thanks
Woodsy
Templet takes a lot beating. Would create a master in 3/8" MDF and test. You like? Then copy it on Aluminum, acrylic or phenolic laminate.
htp://www.patwarner.com (Routers) ______________________________________________________ Woodsy wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@patwarner.com wrote:

Woodsy
Woodsy wrote:

www.collinstool.com www.stairtool.com
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

JP,
Interesting gadgets, but what I'm looking for is a template guiding a router to house out stringers. This allows the treads & the risers to be wedged and glued into the stringers. It makes for a stronger stairway and lessens the squeeks you would get from setting your treads on a 2 X horse.
Woodsy

This what you're looking for? http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/aw.pl?readE9447
Upscale wrote:

That is the overpriced replacement for the template I'm searching for. It looks slick, but at $875.00, it just seems a bit expensive. I would be a happy camper to locate one of the original cast iron models. There is probably one hanging in a barn waiting for me.
I hope.
Woodsy

Maybe you can rent. (If you can find one that is). I'm wondering how difficult it would be to figure your angles and then just cut a template out of plywood? A router with a caller around the bit and you're all set. Double the satisfaction for a completed job.
If he can lay out stairs, he could lay out the template. I agree Upscale, a plywood template is the way I'd go. One of the repeat shows of the router workshop that has been running lately on the Woodworking ( http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/ )channel is on this very subject.
wrote in message

Well, he seems to have a fascination with things of old and seems to consider this particular tool to be a signature tool of old school craftsmen. That's fine - I guess we all have our little idiosyncrasies. It's what makes the world go 'round.
I too wondered right from the beginning why he just didn't whip one up out of plywood or (gag...) MDF. He could be up and running with one that is every bit as functional as what has appeared in this thread by now. But then again... when you want something in particular, sometimes the alternatives just don't cut it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Upscale wrote:

The problem with plywood jigs is durability. Yep, it's not a problem to make one, but how many stringers, of varying rises and runs, could I cut before I would have to make a new template. I have used the cast iron models and they are at least 30 years old. The only parts that wear out are the "pointer" and occasioanlly a foot gets lost. They're like a Timex..."Takes a lickin'..."
Those templates are the property of a shop that I sold. Unforunately I didn't grab the spare jog before leaving. Honesty has it's price, but I sleep at night.
Woodsy
Woodsy

True, but how valid is that thought? How long will it take to wear out that plywood template? 10 years? Two years? How long does it take to knock one out? Two hours? I believe the point of diminishing returns is just around the corner.
--

Jay Pique wrote:

He's talking about something like <http://www.stairtemplate.4t.com/ . $875 does seem a bit much.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Well, it looks like I just might have to bite the bullet on the $875.00
Plywood or other "softer" materials just won't work out on the long run. They , the templates, do take a bit of abuse and and wear will show up in the cuts. You're running a 3 horse router through and hardwood stringers make that thing just a bit. Especially oak, and when you have to horse it, you stand a chance of ruining the edge of the template. It is heavy work that demands durability in the tools used.
Also, I have seldom made two sets of stairs that were exactly alike. This has to be a template that is easy to change and adapt to those changes.
Woodsy