porter cable router recall

Below is a web page which has the story of a recall of PC routers - 890 -895 series which involves some 70K routers. Don't know if they plan to inspect, fix, replace or what but this is a heads up. Apparently some wire wear issues - don't bother to go to the PC site - the word recall is not in their lexicon or site. http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/12574 /
This comes from the PC site and has a phone number.
Safety Recall on PORTER-CABLE 890 Series Routers
1/24/2006
PORTER-CABLE announces a safety recall on the 890 Series Routers (Models 891, 892, 893PK, 894PK, 895PK and 8902). It may be possible, under certain circumstances, for the motor insulation to be abraded, creating a potential shock hazard. The model numbers and affected serial number ranges are:
Model Number Affected Serial Number Range 891 10001 through 24647 892 10001 through 68442 893PK 10001 through 68442 894PK 10001 through 24647 895PK 10001 through 68442 8902 10001 through 68442
If you have additional questions regarding this recall, please call 1-800-949-6348.
View more information regarding this Safety Announcement: View PDF Info in English View PDF Info in Spanish View PDF Info in French
butch burton wrote:

Wondering if this is a result of things to come. Does the word Black & Decker ring a bell?
RV
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I doubt it. I don't buy things in the future ("things to come") reaching back in time to cause results in the present. But I admit to being kind of narrow minded about the "arrow of time" and have a hard time with concepts such as you mention.

Like actually addressing a problem for a change.
butch burton said:

I received a notice from Amazon today concerning this router series.
Interesting to note that in my review of the 895PK router here in the wreck on 12/19/2003, and on Amazon, I stated that:
"I was totally appalled to find that the motor fields and rotor are NOT varnish dipped or pressure impregnated - a must for a high speed motor - and that the 6004RS bearings are made in China!"
I made other observations as to the quality and such that were dismissed by PC management in general, but it has apparently all come home to bite them in the arse.
Being one of the first to purchase and review one of these routers, several subsequent reviewers referred to my assessment as "scathing".
PC's response to my concerns was that "we've fixed everything in current production" ... NOT.
Time, it seems, has proven most of my initial observations correct. I personally regret having purchased a 890 series router, sight unseen, based upon PC's reputation at the time. Mine has seen fairly light usage, but they have been unimpressive hours at best. Lots of Chinese parts and poor quality engineering. Smells like burning fish paper when used for extended periods. I refrain from using it - which defeated the purpose of buying it in the first place.
FWIW,
Greg G.
The routers were manufactured well before the B&D aquisition. Having said that, why would you buy PC when you can still get a Bosch?

Does this recall also include the 894VK? I bought this from Amazon which includes the fixed and plunge bases. There was also a coupon included with the kit for a D-handle. Thanks