Porter Cable router 890 series

Hello All-

After doing a Google search and coming up with very little, I was wondering if anyone had any experience yet with Porter Cable's new 890 series of routers. What interests me about them is the "above the table" height adjustment it offers.

I have also done a search of Porter Cables website. I am looking for hands-on opinions/experience from fellow woodchippers.

Thanks

Reply to
Gredo Goldenstein

I don't think it's out yet -- I can't find it any where.

Reply to
Bob Smith

I had a chance to look this one over pretty closely at the San Mateo Woodworker's Show. I haven't actually used it.

All the new advertised features seemed well designed and well implemented. The above the table bit changes will work as long as your table or mounting plate is no more than about 1/2 inch thick. A rudimentary table with the router mounted directly to a 3/4 or 1" table would put the collet nut below the table surface making "above the table" bit changes difficult or impossible.

The 890 fixed base uses a rack type microadjuster rather than the helical track and dogs on the 690 fixed base. However the rack is removable, and the dogs are still present on the 890, which means the

890 motor is compatible with older 690 plunge and fixed bases with a few minutes to change over. Also, the 690 motor is compatible with the 890 plunge base, but I believe it is not compatible with the 890 fixed base.

It seems like most of the improvements of the 890 series are in the fixed base configuration, especially for table use. The only real improvement to the plunge base is a quick hand actuated motor clamp as opposed to the irritating hex cap screw based clamping mechanism on the

690 plunge base.

The motor is 12 amps.

Martin

Reply to