Porter Cable PSH1 HVLP help needed.

Hello all,

I just came across a Porter Cable PSH1 HVLP spray gun for $59.00 and could not pass it up. The only problem that I have is that the manual does not really help me with anything except troubleshooting. I do not know what pressure settings I should have at the compress or at the gun with the gauge that came with the unit. I also noticed that it lists the part numbers for 7 different size nozzle kits, but when I went to the Porter Cable website there is no listing for any of them. I checked the Porter Cable printed catalog, and it's not there either. It seems that this is a good gun but I just need some help figuring out how to use it. I would like to spray latex primer and paint, oil based stains, poly, etc. and just don't know what I am doing.

Any help is greatly appreciated especially if one of you has been using this gun. Should I keep it or return it for another brand?

Thank you, Bruce snipped-for-privacy@bruceharang.com

Reply to
Bruce E. Harang II

Bruce, It is a good gun and it was made by Devilbess until they were acquired by PC. The other nozels are available but hard to find. You will have to get a good PC dealer to order. It comes with a 1.5 nozzle and that should work for what you awant to spray. Latex paints are hard to spray with any HVLP gun. I wouldnt try. Problem is the latex is in little pieces and doesnt like getting thru small holes. Try a waterbnorne paint like Target or TopCoat. Go to

and read their forum and about their products. As to the pressures, worry only about the gauge at the handle. I try to shoot with as low a pressure as I can...somewhere around 14 psi. But this will depend on your paint and how much you want to spray at a time. I suggest you get a large cardboard box or sheet of ply and practice. Use a paint meant for HVLP and at right density. Set pressure are 15 psi to start and practice setting the two adjustments while apraying the board. By about 1/2 a cup, you should have a feel for what does what. Try to work at 6 to 8 inches. It is a good unit once you get it working. I have two and all the different sized nozzles...but only use the 1.5. Also get a ford cup to measure the viscosity and use retarder to thin to rightone.

Reply to
JLucas ILS

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 10:39:52 -0400, Bruce E. Harang II wrote (in message ):

I bought this gun. I paid just a couple of dollors more than you. It is a great gun. It comes with a 1.5 needle/nozzle/air cap. That 1.5 fluid set is too small to let latex and thick stuff like that go through unless you thin that material way down.

I tried spraying unreduced Duravar, a catalyzed lacquer, with the gun and the fluid set was to small for that. I think that was weighing in at 30 seconds in a Ford #4 cup.

Once I thinned the material it sprayed like a dream, with a 10'' - 12'' wide fan, nicely atomized. I did have to push the psi to over 35 psi.

This is a quality gun with some uniquely designed gravity cup top. It is way better than the much raved about Astro gravity gun in design, perfomance and ergonomics. It is also about $40 cheaper than that Astro. Asrto, not Asturo. Nothing beats an Asturo.

Here is how to adjust atomizing air. The principle is that when the air is right, the spray is right. Turn the dial down. Spray a burst of spray. Look at the resulting fan. Keep turning up the air until you get the widest fan with no tails or distortions. You are using a short burst to judge by. At some point turing up more psi will not yeild you a bigger or better quality pattern to yourt burst. You have just optimized your atomizing air.

One other thing is that I think that this gun tends to be a little air hungry. A two stage five hp compressor ought to be powerful enough to run this.

I have no idea where to get different size needles, nozzles or air caps.

Reply to
Ken Buddha