Porter Cable Plate Joiner deal (minor gloat)

If you're in the market for a plate joiner, and have a Porter Cable in mind, check this deal out:
Borg Depot has got a 20% off sale on all power tools today and I think tomorrow (Dec 19/20). The PC557 goes for $197.00, so I got it for $157.00. Also, Porter Cable has got a $30 rebate on this item till the end of the year (http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?eV4&p00497 ) (you have to create a login, etc). So when all said and done, it'll be about $130.00. Not a bad deal. I've been looking all over for a deal on this guy. Can't even get a used on one Ebay for near this price. I was considering the DeWalt, but at this price, I couldn't pass it up.
Bob
that is a good price

I just bought a great used one for $55.

All right, you suck.
Bob ...
<<If you're in the market for a plate joiner, and have a Porter Cable in mind, check this deal out:
Borg Depot has got a 20% off sale on all power tools today and I think tomorrow (Dec 19/20). The PC557 goes for $197.00, so I got it for $157.00. Also, Porter Cable has got a $30 rebate on this item till the end of the year (http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?eV4&p00497 ) (you have to create a login, etc). So when all said and done, it'll be about $130.00. Not a bad deal. I've been looking all over for a deal on this guy. Can't even get a used on one Ebay for near this price. I was considering the DeWalt, but at this price, I couldn't pass it up.>>
Thank you for the heads-up on this rebate. Other posts in this newsgroup alerted me to the Borg's 20% off sale. So I went there this afternoon with the $100 gift card my brother had already given me, picked up the $197 PC557 for a gloat-worthy net cost to me of $67.06 (tax included). You've just turned that into $37.43 (postage included).
Lee

Those wishing to shop Lowe's, they are also having a 20% off this weekend.
Rick
THANK YOU BOB!!!!
I heard the Borg add about the sale the other day, and thought about it, but dismissed it -I just bought the Harbor Freight $89 2 hp, 5 gal compressor, which brought me to the point where I'd used up more than half of my monthly tool budget for December. Then last night when I saw your post, I really had a dilemma! "To buy or not to buy...." I almost didn't, but decided what the heck - I'm going to need the 557 sooner or later, and I probably won't get this good a price again, AND the rebate is really the icing -
Anyway, THANKS again - I really appreciate it!!!
Nick B.
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; If you're in the market for a plate joiner, and have a Porter Cable in<BR>&gt; mind, check this deal out:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Borg Depot has got a 20% off sale on all power tools today and I think<BR>&gt; tomorrow (Dec 19/20).&nbsp; The PC557 goes for $197.00, so I got it for<BR>&gt; $157.00.&nbsp; Also, Porter Cable has got a $30 rebate on this item till<BR>&gt; the end of the year<BR>&gt; (</FONT><A href="http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=564&amp ;p=300497"><FONT face=Arial size=2>http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=564&amp ;p=300497</FONT></A><FONT face=Arial size=2>) (you have to<BR>&gt; create a login, etc).&nbsp; So when all said and done, it'll be about<BR>&gt; $130.00.&nbsp; Not a bad deal.&nbsp; I've been looking all over for a deal on<BR>&gt; this guy.&nbsp; Can't even get a used on one Ebay for near this price.&nbsp; I<BR>&gt; was considering the DeWalt, but at this price, I couldn't pass it up.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Bob</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:11:46 GMT, "Nick Bozovich"

dismissed it -I just bought the Harbor Freight $89 2 hp, 5 gal compressor, which brought me to the point where I'd used up more than half of my monthly tool budget for December. Then last night when I saw your post, I really had a dilemma! "To buy or not to buy...." I almost didn't, but decided what the heck - I'm going to need the 557 sooner or later, and I probably won't get this good a price again, AND the rebate is really the icing -

You know, after I posted the comment, and got new headers, I saw quite a few other people had posted similar messages and I thought perhaps I made a mistake by not checking first. I'm glad that I was able to make a few people aware of the rebate, though.
I took advantage of the frenzy myself. Didn't really think I needed a plate joiner but what the heck. I stumbled across a $100 gift cert I had tucked away since 1995, the 20%, and a $30 rebate makes it around $36 I had to fork over.
One note though, the cards that Home Depot had for the rebate actually say "Gift Card" not rebate. Not sure what that means but you may actually get a $30 credit of some sort for a PC tool in the future.
The form they have online says "$30 Cash Rebate". I think I'll email them and see what they say.
Cheers, cc