portable drum sander

I work out of my garage. Not in my garage but on the driveway outside my garage. Everything is either on wheels or can be picked up and placed on a portable table.

I've been casually looking at drum sanders. I think it would be my next tool addition except my lathe and bandsaw etc take up most of my available space for larger tools that I have on wheels. Everything else from my little table saw and planer I can pick up and move.

Is there such a think as a drum sander that with a weight that it can be picked up? Oh, and work worth effectively for small projects?

Reply to
william kossack

Well, all I am aware of is the Performax 20 inch drum sander (628900)

if you have been looking at drum sanders, you have probably already looked that one over.

It is not cheap and it is not particularly light at about 75 lbs.

Reply to
eganders

Try

and look at the V-drum sander.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Hmm. I forgot about that. I made one of these about 5 years ago when the drum for the "V-drum sander" first became available. I have had it in my basement ever since. I used it to make my bed slats, but I have not used it really since I got my Performax. Probably should sell it since it is just taking floor space.

Reply to
eganders

Reply to
william kossack

Where are you? I'll be interested in taking that dirty old thing from you and help you clear up your floor space.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Then I would go for a Performax or a machine similar to that. That is what I use mine for, to get a smooth, consistant surface with a controlled thickness.

I am in Ann Arbor, MI. I guess I would listen to offers. It has an 18 inch roll, floor standing, wheels and dust collection port. If there is some general interest, I will post pictures.

Reply to
eganders

the problem is the weight of the performax. I don't have the space. Most of my tools sit on shelves and I take them down and carry them out onto the driveway when I need them.

I was look> Then I would go for a Performax or a machine similar to that. That is

Reply to
william kossack

My gut feeling is that part of the reason a drum sander works - makes nice even, consistent-thickness pieces - is because of its mass. Therefore a drum sander that doesn't weigh in pretty heavy isn't going to give a dependable thickness and surface.

But that's just my first thought and I haven't researched it.

Reply to
else24

Reply to
william kossack

How wide of a board? One way I've heard is to use a spindle sander with it's largest drum and a fence. You're limited to about 3-4" wide boards. Wide 1/8" boards tend to cup pretty badly anyway.

Rockler has decent pricing on thin stock, not as consistent thickness as I'd like though.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf