Portable Doweling System

Anyone ever seen a machine similar to this one?
http://www.hoffmann-usa.com/htm/pds32/pds-32.htm
I like the concept, but the price is a bit beyond my budget.
Anyone know of anything similar that's a little more economical for the non-commercial guys?
Thanks.
Rick
Rick it about the only one I have seen on the market and being made in Germany it is sure to be a fine tool. I have had my eye on it for about a year and hope to get it in about 6 months George

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:08:13 -0600, "Rick"
I've always used something similar to this: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)72443912/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5997910-6893431?v=glance&s=hi>
It's extremely fast, once you do a few.
Barry
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:07:06 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I can second that endorsment. it's also very handy for drilling holes for non dowel use (especially in the edge of boards)     Bridger
I have a dowl-it jig similar to this. It's not too bad, but I think something similar to the Hoffmann machine would be much quicker.
Rick
in message wrote:

The Hoffmann machine looks exactly like the Mafell Duo Dowel System. Mafell is a reputable German company which specializes on carpentry and woodworking tools. http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_bohren_fr.htm
If the Duo Dowel System is out of your budget you might like to consider a biscuit joiner.
Personally, I don't use any Mafell tools but currently I'm thinking about the Mafell Duo Dowel System and the Mafell biscuit joiner. Mafell really caught my attention with this saw. http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_ksp40_i.html
Regards,
Christian Aufreiter, Austria
The Hoffman is made in Germany also
wrote

I'll have to check out pricing on this unit. Thanks.
I like the idea of the dual dowel system much better than a biscuit joint. I just seem to trust a dowel joint much more so than a biscuit joint. I also do alot of joining of dissimilar thicknesses of materials. Post and panel type furniture for instance. Dowling seems to work better than biscuiting for that.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out Mafell.
Rick
wrote

Rick the starter Kit cost 659.00 and the Pro system is 769.00 The Machine ius the same the differance is in the Drill bit sizes they give you and the dowels, Bear in mind this is all MM sizes
This does not give you the 31-1/2" guide that is another 154.00 I figured the best way to go for me was the pro system.
Monday I will call about the Mafell system cost for comparison
George
Send me you e-mail address and I'll scan and send you the Price list
wrote

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:08:13 -0600, Rick wrote:

a small doweling machine? I took a small (cheap) drill press and made a table for it. It is now a bench top doweling machine that does an excellent job. And I don't have to buy expensive special bits for it, I simply use 4 flute end mills. The cut is swift, smooth and accurate every time...pictures available on request.
Jon Dough wrote:

Request. How about in a.b.p.w?
-- Mark