Ponderings in the shop

Page 1 of 3
    Have any of you ever found yourself wondering about the tree of which the wood you are working was once a part? Whilst jointing some ash for the entertainment center drawers this afternoon, I found myself wondering where the tree had grown and what sorts of wildlife had once lived in its branches and under its shade. Had it once been a tree-stand for hunters, or had children or others once climbed it to see further into the forest? Had deer sheltered under it in a snowstorm or rain? Not really in a maudlin fashion, these musings were more of an inquisitive nature rather than anything negative. One of those more introspective things than anything else.
A few times. I picked up some old maple a while ago. Made it into a crib for my little one. While sawing it - I sawed thru a old lead bullet. Got me wondering a bit on it. Where it came from - did it go thru anyone before it hit the tree. Was it from the civil war? Most likley some punk w/ a 22 a few years ago :)
It was pretty neat tho.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:45:37 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I don't have to wonder, I go and look at the photos I have of it, and the photos of the site as it is now.
--
Smert' spamionam

Thanks, now I'm going to look at my Delta TS and wonder if it used to be a Ford, Datsun, Chevy or what, and if it had any memorial trips or famous drivers/riders.
--

FMB
(only one B in FMB)

I made some picture frames for my kids from a pear tree I had to 'put down'. We had picnics under that tree. That tree fed thousands of birds the sweetest pears, and oh, the millions of darting wasps it attracted.... stop me before I blubber....
Seriously, I do think it is healthy to stop and think sometimes. Just do not stop and think where that water in your beer may have been...okay?
Rob
Sandman wrote:

Apparently I'm not the only one to have thought about dinosaur piss... A book I read in 4th grade (c 1967) said that every time you take a breath you're breathing in 3 molecules of air that Leonardo da Vinci breathed. ;-) Ponder that for awhile.
-- Mark
More evidence that you should always use a respirator and have good ventilation when using lacquer! ;^)
BW
Actually, as a ute I used to get interesting day dreams coming from all the smells that came out of the pine I was cutting at the furniture factory job.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:45:37 -0700, Mark & Juanita

nope... and I don't think of the steer that my steak is made of, either... you get your head wrapped around stuff like that, you're going to be gluing styrofoam for a hobby because you don't want to hurt any more trees.. *g*

What about the poor doe-eyed dinosaurs that died and became the oil the styrofoam was made out of?
But seriously,
I have heard a Native American (dugout) canoe maker say that he was making a canoe to honor the tree and celebrate all the years it had been part of the forest. He was using all his skill and art to make something beautiful and useful from the tree's gift of its wood that would be appreciated by his children and grandchildren.
Riiiiiiiiiight..... like the way they trained those beavers to be hats.
(From an OLD Johnny Carson routine).

I used to when growing up on the farm. It was the ones that got out all the time, usually when we were busy with something else, that graced our table so there was some poetic justice in eating them. ;-)

Nah, I'm not headed toward tree-hugger status. Besides, I'd hate to reduce the supply of the endangered styrofoams.
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:26:09 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I think the breed is "styro's" but I'm not sure..
You should of been thinking about the tool you were using and leave the deep thoughts for when the tools are off. Prime example of how injuries happen.
Chris Melanson
BLH Millwork LTD

Every newsgroup needs a mother.

Eh, I think you're being over-dramatic. And I _know_ you're top-posting.
Demonstrating your keen sense of direction?

Alright - I'm warning you... that was a full cup of coffee...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

No, pointing out that it screws up normal communication style. You don't talk upside-down, why write that way?

ya know, dave...
you're kind of like a busted clock. right twice a day, every day, but totally useless.