polyurethane - is it removed by acetone?

Hi,
Is polyurethane removed by acetone? I've DAGS, and some sites say acetone will soften poly, others say poly will shed acetone like water.
I managed to remove a hard clear finish by rubbing it with a paper towel moistened with acetone. Before the removal, spraying some nc lacquer over the unknown finish caused that finish to lift and wrinkle for the portions over wood, and did not soften or wrinkle anything for the portions over metal. Another factor is that portions of the wood may have been exposed to a tung/urethane varnish, but I did wipe it off before the varnish got sticky. (yes, I'm in a mess.)
Thanks for any info you may have.
- Daniel
Acetone will dissolve shellac but not do much to poly- may soften it a bit, but not dissolve it. I have refinished some poly coated chairs etc with pretty good results using Parks refinisher. As I recall, it is a combination of solvents which dissolve several types of coatings. Still requires some elbow-grease!
Worth a try.
Good luck!
Lou
FWIW Back in my school days we used "deft" polyurethane and were warned not to use "Pledge" with lemon oil in it as it would dissolve the finish. It did on several projects. Last year I finished some items with a cheap poly ($12 a gal) and one of my customers who used a lemon oil product to clean wood work had the same problem. I know that most of the polyurethane's on the market now are impervious to lemon oil, but you might try it and see.