Poll, To stain or not to stain?

Page 2 of 2
Ba r r y wrote:

I've found that if one uses enough paper, one generally avoids a stain.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:41:46 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

My right arm is currently in a soft cast, so I actually am using quite a bit of extra paper right now!
Next month it'll be the left. Use those anti-vibration gloves!
Barry
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:16:10 GMT, Ba r r y

A friend I used to work with had both CTS surgeries done at once. She had to have her husband wipe her every time she went to the bathroom for nearly 2 months. I'll bet he was glad when those casts came off.
Good luck on your results.
--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------

My guy refuses to do that. Even if for some sick reason I wanted to do both, he wouldn't. I ride mountain bikes with a guy who broke both elbows in a crash. His girlfriend wiped him for a few months. When he healed, she dumped him.

Thanks!
Barry
I try to suggest the customer pick a natural colored wood. If the customer is on a tight budget I use Oak and stain to the color of choice. Oak takes a stain very well. I do not stain any other wood.
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:28:27 GMT, "Leon"

That works great until the customer wants a tight, quiet grain.
I always suggest oak or ash whenever I *have* to stain. The stars don't always align, so I have the procedure I posted to the cherry blotching thread.
Barry

HUh?
Oak does not have a tight or quiet grain. And I do not stain any other wood.
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 04:13:57 GMT, "Leon"

My point exactly!

You tell them to take a hike?
Barry
Depends. I don't stain cherry. I stain maple. Sometimes. Most of the time, I think staining is a crime against some pretty nice wood. I've refinished some (taking cover - avoiding bricks) Ethan Allan furniture. When I got though stripping it, the wood wasn't that bad. You sure couldn't tell when the finish was on. I've built replacement parts for damaged pieces. I've almost always had to play with stain to keep the new parts from sticking out like a sore thumb. Never say never or always.
bob g.
max wrote:

As a hobbyist woodworker, I'm still learning how to finish. I don't stain cherry unless it's a gift and the giftee would like it to match something else and then it's dye on top of sealer. I always stain pine. I sometimes stain oak. So I guess it would depend on the wood.
Chris Corbett

ranted:

See my mean remarks from earlier today. It WILL unblotch it, right? ;)

I was a varnish man in my yout, then I found Watco Natural, then Waterlox. It combines all the goodness of linseed oil, varnish, and tung oil. Ten times better than that poly crap. I'll give you 20:1 that all the guys who say they stain also use poly. "Cuz Blob Villa told me to!"

Goodonya, Mate. Try Waterlox.

Like the plague.
--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

nope Norm :))
I like staining simply because I like they way it looks, little darker, I may get flamed for this but I like minwax natural dosn't change the color a lot, just a enough I've done a number of wax finishes, they look great, but they don't hold up to much use
I've read about doing a wax over poly, I think I'm going to give that a try next

Never understood the flaming over stains- I like Minwax Natural, too. I've wrecked a few nice projects using other stains, so I'm a little gunshy about the darker ones, but the natural is really nice, IMO.

I like to wax over oil or the abovementioned Minwax.

I'm not saying that's a "bad" idea, but what is the point of that?

I just avoid the ones I've botched up. Usually, I just try to get the right wood, and use a clear or nearly clear finish these days, but back when I could only afford cheap POS wood, stain was sometimes necessary.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Given the meaning of "stain": From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:
Stain \Stain\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. ; p. pr. & vb. n. .] [Abbrev. fr. distain.] 1. To discolor by the application of foreign matter; to make foul; to spot; as, to stain the hand with dye; armor stained with blood.
2. To color, as wood, glass, paper, cloth, or the like, by processess affecting, chemically or otherwise, the material itself; to tinge with a color or colors combining with, or penetrating, the substance; to dye; as, to stain wood with acids, colored washes, paint rubbed in, etc.; to stain glass.
3. To spot with guilt or infamy; to bring reproach on; to blot; to soil; to tarnish.
Of honor void, Of innocence, of faith, of purity, Our wonted ornaments now soiled and stained. --Milton.
4. To cause to seem inferior or soiled by comparison.
She stains the ripest virgins of her age. --Beau. & Fl.
That did all other beasts in beauty stain. --Spenser.
Three of the four definitions say clearly that staining is a bad thing, so you have to be lucky if you want you work to be improved by stainging ... ;-)