Plywood from China

Page 4 of 7
writes:

You never had a US Made Zenith or Motorola transistor radio?

In fact, we did. When I was a boy back in '56-57, mom bought a Zenith transistor radio. The thing was the size of a breadbox, weighed about 5-6lbs, and had a battery the size 2lb brick of cheese. Worked great. By the early '60s, most transistor radios were the size of a pack of ez-read playing cards and made in Japan.
As early as 1954 the Japanese had already cornered the tv market and were flooding the USA with underpriced TVs through Sears and Wards. Japanese housewives marched on the Ministry of Commerce(?) in protest of Japan's dumping policies at the expense of Japanese taxpayers. Americans could buy a TV cheaper than the Japanese.
This voracious marketing tactic (dumping) lasted for years, up through stereo systems, cameras, motorcycles, and eventually cars. The Japanese didn't exactly "copy", the took what we had innovated and then dicarded and improved on it and created a manufacturing base that blew us away. Yes, they out innovated us in some areas, cameras lenses for one, but most of it was still copy/improvement and taking a throw-away approach to keep prices competitive.
One perfect example is motorcycles. The japanese didn't invent overhead cams. They just discovered a way to make them so the cam turned in the bare aluminum head casting without the expense of bearings. Cheap, effective, and tossable, so there was no point in rebuilding. Buy a new one instead, and the Japanese design teams always had a new one (or ten!) in the ready.
nb
writes:

You are either talking about the Trans-Oceanic, or were living on another planet. DAGS

I'd dispute that statement ....if I had a clue what yer talking about.
nb
We had a Trans-Oceanic - used it 8000 miles or so southwest from here :-) It allowed us to hear VOA and get skip out of the US from time to time. The only station within 2000 miles was AFRS controlled.
The stainless with black made it a nice radio.
Martin
snipped-for-privacy@bb.nothome.com wrote:

writes:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/transoceanics.htm
LD wrote:

Which American manufacturer produced millions of transistor radios? The first company to sell more than half a million transistor radios was Sony and when I was a kid in the '60s I _never_ saw an American branded transistor radio on the shelf or in anyone's hand.

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:21:08 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Actually LOTS of "American Brand" - but precious few "American Made"

DAGS Lots were American Made.
LD wrote:

FYGS.

IOW, you don't want to know ...
LD wrote:

I'm just sick of people who have no sources instructing other to "DAGS". If you can't be assed to do the search yourself and post the relevant links then up yours and the horse you rode in on.

And your sources for the Original Assertion are ____________________________________
LD wrote:

Personal experience. There is more to the world than Google you know.

And your Personal Experience differs markedly from My Personal Experience. Note also that the first Japanese transistor radio was not made in Japan. It was made in Indianapolis.

I Owned some. Zenith and Motorola. Oh, and Bulova. DAGS
LD wrote:

I did. It told me that no American manufacturer sold "millions" of transistor radios.

No, it didn't.
LD wrote:

Are you calling me a liar, shithead?

No, I'm calling you an Imbecile.