Plans for a wooden forklift or pallet lifter/mover? (JT?)

Page 1 of 3
I'm looking for a plan or photos of a device that'll let me lift a 250-300# pallet from the floor, can be pushed outside, and will let me set the pallet in a semi trailer. The object is to avoid paying for lift gate services.
I can't find anything on Google except wooden toys and commercial machinery. I started working on a plan last night, and it doesn't seem like it should be all that difficult to build - surely someone has already solved the problem...
Has anyone done or seen anything like this?
Morris Dovey wrote:

Find a picture of a scissor table and copy it. Occasionally one can find them on eBay for not too much.
A used pallet mover isn't all that expensive if you keep looking...
John Deere has pallet attachments for many of their tractor loaders? Do you own a tractor with a loader? I made a hay mover for my loader.

Morris Dovey wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-JOE-3000-LB-24-VOLT-WALK-BEHIND-FORKLIFT-60-LIFT_W0QQitemZ180130015371QQihZ008QQcategoryZ97185QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Something like this? http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?in_merch=1&storeIdi70&productIdx7&Rx7 ("High lifting pallet truck") I assume larger wheels could be installed if the stock ones are too small for use outside. Andy
Sorry for the double post, but google/ebay have turned up a few more, i.e. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Hydraulic-Pallet-Stacker-Lift-Truck-Forklift_W0QQitemZ290129467919QQihZ019QQcategoryZ109541QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (eBay item 290129467919, pallet stacker) "pallet stacker" and "high lift pallet truck" seem to be productive search terms... Andy
I am wondering if anyone caught the original header of "Plans for a WOODEN forklift or pallet lifter/pallet mover"
Note the stress on WOODEN. I am thinking that the industrious Mr. Dovey is looking for something he can build.
That would seem evident in asking for plans (the first word in the header).
Just a thought...
Robert

True; I have to admit I missed the subject line. But he also asked for photos - before I design/build something, I like to try to find pictures of as many different types of items like that as I can. Thanks for paying attention and putting us back on the intended track, but hopefully some of the ideas/pictures/search terms above might still be helpful. Andy

No doubt they would be. That wasn't really pointed at you, but the group sometimes (I include myself in that number) from ADD and cannot stay on task for more than a couple of posts. Those grinding SawStop threads (last one still wheezing along) are perfect examples.
To me, finding a lift like you did at Northern would erase any ideas I entertained about building one. At less than $500, I cannot imagine the expenditure of time and money would be needed in wood and hardware to make a suitable platform and then attach a lifting device. It doesn't sound like an evening project to me. Time being what it is these days, $ 469 looks like a bargain.
BTW, I saw nothing of shop built wood constructed lifting devices when I looked.
Just my 0.02.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
| To me, finding a lift like you did at Northern would erase any | ideas I entertained about building one. At less than $500, I | cannot imagine the expenditure of time and money would be needed in | wood and hardware to make a suitable platform and then attach a | lifting device. It doesn't sound like an evening project to me.
I followed all the links and looked at the pix - and also found an actual propane-fueled fork lift on E-Bay. It's over in Davenport and has been bid up to $380. My next door shop neighbor has an old Bendix that I may be able to buy for about $300, but both of these take up a bit more space than I'm ready to give up (yet).
Thanks, all!
Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 3:05pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (MorrisDovey) doth now sayeth: <snip> My next door shop neighbor has an old Bendix that I may be ableto buy for about $300, but both of these take up a bit more space than I'm ready to give up (yet).
Hell Morris. Buy it. Don't even think about te space it'll take up. Worst case senario, you sell it and make a profit. But the thing to do is make a wood whatever to fit over the forks, making a work surface. That will reduce space taken up while increasing usable work area. You can make some sort of wood structue that fits over the back for something similar, or temporary storage. You need to use it, uncover it, you won't care about the space the wooden "structures" take up, because you'll be loading. When finished, park it again, and put the "structures" back in pace.
I've got someting along those lines that sets on th top of my wood lathe stand, gives a substantial increase in work surface, with no additional space lost.
If I had the chance to buy a forklift for $300, I'd probably buy it, and I don't have any use for one at all. And, it'd have to be parked outside, under a tarp. But you can sure betcha I could find a lot of uses for it.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton

Cheap enough for a forklift. The capacity is much more than most thing you'd build from wood. There are some small trucks too but finding one cheap is another story. Remember, getting that 300 pound pallet onto the truck will require some reach and counterbalance
How about used equipment dealers? I've bought a couple of manual lifts for a couple of hundred bucks. .
Once you get that forklift, you'll be amazed at how handy it can be. With a platform it is good for high work if it is double or triple mast. .
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

the forks and a boom with a hook on the far end for a chain lift.
Also (OSHA UN-approved) putting walls around a pallet makes for a decent work platform. If you make the walls 3' tall and provide a way t clamp to the forks and to attach a fall harness, you might even slide in under the OSHA radar.
Bill
Virus Database (VPS): 000751-4, 06/23/2007
What about a giant see-saw? You could put the pallet on a platform on one end, then stack weights on the other end until it counterbalances and raises the pallet to the truck deck height. Then wheel up to the pallet with the driver's pallet jack and slide it into the truck.
Bob the Tomato

Bob the Tomato wrote: | What about a giant see-saw? You could put the pallet on a platform | on one end, then stack weights on the other end until it | counterbalances and raises the pallet to the truck deck height. | Then wheel up to the pallet with the driver's pallet jack and slide | it into the truck.
Kind of like a trebuchet, except that it doesn't actually /throw/ the pallet? :-)
I recently saw a video of a guy who is building a replica stonehenge *by himself* using simple machines to gain the necessary leverage. Ahhh. here it is:
http://www.theforgottentechnology.com /
Bob the Tomato

"Morris Dovey" wrote

installation many years ago. They wanted a machine to help out with the chinning bar but there was no room for it. It would assist folks who lacked the strength to do a chin.
In front of the chin bar was a piece of equipment that I drilled holes in. I welded up a lever that could be taken out and stored along one wall. It had a T one one end and a peg to hold weights on the other end. You piled some weights on, stood on the T, and started to do assisted chins.
I am not sure how practical it would be for you. But if you could roll the pallet out there, a movable fulcrum with a foldable lever would get the job done. And it would fold back up out of the way. And the whole process wouldn't take that long to set up, load, break down and put away.
If you put wheels on the fulcrum/base, you could roll the pallet right onto the truck. You could also make the lever on your end long enough, that your body weight would lift the pallet. Just put a knotted rope on it and pull it down to the ground while the other end rises to truck height.
As for the trebuchet idea, I always wanted to build one.
Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 6:32pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Andy) doth sayeth: True; I have to admit I missed the subject line. <snip> I didn't miss it, I just ignored it.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton

Or you could consider adding to the garage and getting a $1500 fork lift ;-)
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/tls/354912071.html
Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 11:33am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (MorrisDovey) whoe middle name is Scrooge says: I'm looking <snip> to avoid paying for lift gate services. <snip> Has anyone done or seen anything like this?
Not seen any plans for lifting AND moving, but several thoughts immediately spring to mind. Depending on exactly how cheap you actually are.
Brbe a few teenagers to lift, carry, load, whatever. If they're employees you can threaten firing if they don't cooperate.
Engine hoist. They've got wheels, albet rather small, and you'd be best off with a smoth surface to allow relatvely as using. Not sure if they'd lift high enough.
Make a roling hoist, use a come-along or chain hoist. Put it on weels.
Make a fork lift. Use a garden tractor, use a hand crank, or a chain hoist, to lift it. Shouldn't be a biggie.
ff you've got a peekop truck, get one ofthose bed hoists. Should run around $100. Lift whatever up, back the peekop so the load is in, viola.
Getch 'cha a big ramp, and push the load up the ramp. You coudd even make something to jack each corner up a few inches, and hook a wheel, or large casters, on each corner.
Make a large dirt ramp, make a few dozen wood rollers, get a whip, get a crew of a dozen or so Egyptians. Or, get the same, without the Egyptians, get a camera (working or no), get a dozen or so people who want to be in a movie, tell them you're making a move, charge them for acting guild fees. You get the work done, you make a profit, life is good.
That's the best I can come up with without thinking.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton