Planer question

Page 2 of 2
On 3/13/12 12:25 PM, dpb wrote:

Show me where I wrote that. I wrote, "I remove cupping all the time with my planer." That's quite a far cry from "tool of choice."

Stomp? Wow, I think you need a refresher course in reading comprehension *and* you might want to see a doctor about your paranoia. :-p
Once again, get over yourself. I simply offered advice that was different than yours in a matter-of-fact, non-confrontational manner.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/11/2012 3:51 PM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

I kept the smaller when returned to farm...sometimes I've regretted not having the Powermatic Model 225 but don't have 3-phase so it would have required either swapping the motor no mean feat to find a single phase or a phase converter so get by w/ the Rockwell/Delta Model 13.
That these little lunchbox guys don't have much guts isn't too surprising; I've never tried using one...
Here's a couple links to nice pic's at the OWWM site...
<http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id 838> <http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id#45
The one guy says his came from an estate sale; the one I have came from a furniture factory in PA that upgraded. They had 27 of these set up in 9 rows of three--ran them all day, every day preparing the stock to a fixed set thickness--each machine was set at one precise thickness setting and fed by one and unloaded and passed to the next in the line by another.
Here's the (lamented, gone) PM...
<http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?idr15

A few thoughts...
Can you see if the "cut area" is wider with each pass? If so the additional noise is most likely due to the wider cut as more wood is being removed...
Another possibility is that because you didn't face joint the board first the feed rollers may be straining to flatten the board out as it's passing through.
Did you clean the blades before or after this problem came up?
It would sure be easier to diagnosis in person!
In answer to come questions and comments:
I have never taken the blades off the machine. They are as they came from the factory. Bought this machine new from HD in Dec, 2010. Hasn't had much use. Did several pieces of dog-eared cedar last fall, new wood, 1x6's, planed them down smooth. I've probably had a couple of hours (maybe 3) use on the machine since new. Feeding it single-handed is slower than with an extra person so that time represents about half the time cutting, half waiting for a new board.
I took a piece of rough sawn lumber, probably pine, dunno, about 1x12x24 and ran it through. Didn't look to me like very much came off. Gave that up for now.
I did inspect all the blades but didn't remove or adjust. Didn't touch the mounting bolts at all. I cleaned some residue off the cutting edges, didn't make much difference. I'll mess with it a little more before taking it down to the shop. BTW, the Factory Repair Shop is about 2 miles from my house so it's not much of a burden. Just a nuisance.
Since this is my first planer, I didn't really know what to expect re life span of blades, etc. But it does seem to me that doing clean soft woods should allow me rather more life out of the blades than this. Thanks for the suggestions. I look more into it on Monday.
Ralph

*snip*

Take a pencil or even a piece of chalk and scribble across the face of the board. Plane and then look at the results. That will tell you exactly where material was removed.
*snip*
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I'll try that tomorrow too. Thanks
Ralph

To those who offered help and advice, thanks. I got the problem solved. Simple, really. I rotated the blades.
Duh.
I was surprised they got so dull so fast but, then, they're just steel and I suppose I have put more stock through the planer than I thought.
Suspect I need to have a couple sets of blades on hand. Changing the blades around was really pretty simple. I had been dreading it but it isn't difficult at all.
Anyway, the new edges cut like champs and I made about 2/3 bag of shavings/chips for my DC with it.
Ralph (who still has lots to learn!)