Planer leaking Oil

I have a Central Machinery 10" planer that I picked up at a garage sale a few months ago. So far it has worked well for me. However, this weekend I was squaring up a lot of wood for a workbench top and noticed the planer was leaking oil on the left side of the machine. This was the most continuous cutting I've done done with it, but I have not noticed a leak before. It leaked about a 1/4 cup of oil.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should look at to fix this? It may be a while before I can replace it with a better quality machine, so I need to keep this one alive for a while longer.

Thanks, Richard

Here is a picture of the machine:

Richard

The unit has sealed bearings and a light coating of grease on the table support rods, each end of the cutter head, the drive chain and the table height chain.

If you've found 1/4 cup of oil on the left side of the planer start looking overhead for what's dripping?

Reply to
Nova

I doubt that (I hesitate to call it a machine) planer could not possibly have oil in it. It only has pre-greased bearings. Look for other sources of the oil. Maybe wet wood?

I have a Jet 12" planer that has planed 1000's of board feet with zero problems (other that new blades). I've have decided to replace it as soon as it breaks. But then again, that was three years ago. It was only $300+.

Dave

Teamcasa

Doubtful that there was 1/4 cup of oil in it to begin with, or indeed any oil at all.

I'm betting that: a) your shop is in your basement; b) your household includes a dog or small boy; and c) that ain't oil that dripped onto your planer from the floor above.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have a basement shop and two golden retrievers. When the youngest golden was a puppy it liked the spot in the foyer directly over my new cabinet saw ;-(

Reply to
Nova

When I use the planer, I am outside in front of my shop, so I know the mess came from the planer - this time, at least. To put things in perspective, when I was cleaning up, my 4 year old son came running out fo the house totally naked to help me put the tools away. Consiquently, I would not be surprised by just about any mess I find around the house :)

Thanks, Richard

Nova wrote:

Reply to
Richard