planer

Page 3 of 3

writes:

Good scrub and jack will run you two thirds the price of a jointer, and still won't do a credible job on the edge. So where's the tradeoff?
Scrub and jointer.
I use a jack for edges all the time. Works great. Have use a #4 for the same purpose with fine results. Odd how woodworkers seem to thing planes have to be the size of aircraft carriers when metal workers flatten comparativley huge surfaces with scrapers. Good jack and scrub (converted #4) less than $100.00 off ebay.

with
The planer is the only tool that will make both sides parallel. Jointing can be done manually or sometimes with a router. I bought the planer first and used the router for edge jointing. Next purchase was the jointer.
Vic