Plane from auction

I went to an auction today and bought a small box of stuff labeled "primitive tools" for $15. The plane is what I was most interested in from the box, it is: (Stanley) Bailey, 9", seems to be in pretty good shape and on the body it is stamped:
PAT-D MAR-25-02 AUG-19 -02
It's my first "old plane" so I'm sorted of excited about it. The front knob has a crack in it. But, other than that, the plane doesn't show much wear. I thought it would be fun to clean it up. I am curious whether the markings indicate whether this plane in anyway special (or older). Do they tell if the plane is 100 years old?
If I can figure out how to use my wife's camera and get a picture up, I will try to post a picture of some of the interesting artifacts that were in the box.
Regards, Bill (the same Bill from the recent workbench thread, just newby'ing along...)
By the way, the plane doesn't say Stanley on it, so I presume now it's not.
Bill

On 8/12/2009 9:25 PM Bill spake thus:

That's a patent date, so you know your plane was made sometime after that. Could be quite a few years after.

If it says Bailey, it's probably a Stanley. Check it out at Patrick's blood and gore (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm )
To date it, you could check out the Stanley Bench Plane dating page at http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating /
Have fun.
Luigi http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

This plane is probably not worth your time. Those patent dates indicate that the plane is only about seven years old. The crack in the knob is typical of the shoddy crap made these days. So is the fact that there was a "bug fix" a few months after the original patent. A true Bailey of a hundred years ago would not have cracked. Toss it...
.... over here!
Larry Kraus wrote: ...

lol :)
Larry Kraus wrote:

LOLOLOL. I just got hosed. I pressed Reply on Larry's post and was going to tell Bill to take Luigi's advice, but then I saw how Larry ended his post.
Very creative.
Tanus
"Larry Kraus" wrote in message

If you are curious about my reaction, as I read the first sentence I became suddenly disappointed. But the middle of the post had an air of BS about it... and I was relieved when I got to the end! :)
Bill

First, not knowing what else is in the box, but assuming it is all in half decent condition, let me just say you probably suck.
From this info, and Patrick B&G, and the Stanley Plane Dating Chart, it sounds like you are now the proud owner of a Stanley #4 (smoothing plane, Jeff) Type 9 (1902-1907) or 10 (1907-1909).

Quick, grab hold of something really solid. The slope just got real steep and it sounds like somebody is greasing it up for you. If you think cleaning it up is fun, just wait until you hear the damn thing make that magic Ssszzwicckkk sound and then you pick up a shaving about a thousandth of an inch thick and look through it. All is lost at that point, and you start wondering why you have so many things in the shop with electrical cords.

Post 'em and generate some traffic in ABPW.

Regards, Roy
get on over to http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4 and sign up. lots of good info there.