Pink wood stain?

I want to stain an electric bass body made from "Swamp Ash" pink. Any ideas the best way to do this?
Swamp Ash, BTW, is a light weight variety of white ash that grows in the swamps of Lousiana and Mississippi.
--Steve
"Steve" wrote ...

[...]
A thin mix of red water-based aniline dye will give a nice pink color. You can make a warmer pink by adding just a hint of yellow, or a more purplish pink by adding a hint of blue.
Won't hide the grain at all, will enhance any curl in the wood.
You could also seal the wood after the pink dye, then fill the pores before topcoating. That way you could get a smooth, shiny pink guitar with any color grain you like.
Topcoating with water-based lacquer will keep the colors from yellowing.
-- Timothy Juvenal www.tjwoodworking.com

Not sure how this would/wood work on ash, but I used a mix of 50/50 Cherry and Natural Danish oil fro my display cases and they came out a nice warm pink.. For a bass, you probably want something a little more vibrant, though..
You stain trout, also?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Mon, Dec 10, 2007, 9:29pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@sureNOSPAMwest.net (Steve) doth query: I want to stain an electric bass body made from "Swamp Ash" pink. Any ideas the best way to do this? <snip>
Best? Dunno. But been 'speerminting with latex paint, thinned way down, as stain. Works quite well, and you can mix any color you want. It should go without saying to try it on some scrap wood first, but with a few people it 'does' need saying LOL Food colors work too, but a lot more delicate color to my mind.
Sounds like a cool project. I'd use a dye stain from these guys http://www.homesteadfinishing.com . I imagine a washed out version of one of the red colors would do the trick. In the trans tints they also have a sort of purple\magenta that might lighten up in a cool manner. They have lots of options. Test a few and find something nice.
I've alwasy wanted to do my own maple drums and do some cool coloring too.

I love Homestead, and Jeff really knows his stuff. I suggest you call and ask him for a suggestion.