Finishing of Drawers

When applying finish to drawers...or do you? Frank Klauz says not to, that the odor--especially in kitchen cabinet drawers--would be objectionable and would cover up the scent of pine.

Is he right?

What about shellac, which pretty much does not have an odor?

It's these little questions that vex and annoy :-) TIA

Reply to
LDR

I've used shellac. Traditional drawers with wooden runners/kickers would be left bare on the outside, with a bit of wax to make them work smoother.

I've used oil-based poly on some large kitchen drawers (with metal slides) that were to be used to store recycling bins. I wanted the extra durability there. Once it was cured I don't remember any particular smell, but at the same time I don't know that I'd use it for drawers containing food or tablecloths/placemats just in case.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Frank Klausz is making drawers from pine? Weak. Or just the bottoms? = Or just throwing in a little pine tree air freshener?

Drawers that are too small and deep to spray, I'll sometimes use oil = finish, which I think smells nice. Larger drawers, such as kitchen cab = drawers on steel slides, I'll spray with water-based lacquer. =20

--=20 Timothy Juvenal

VibraJet

Drawers can get dirty or dusty over time. I use shellac. I think Mr. Klauz is nuts to suggest no finish.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You don't finish furniture drawers because it will make your clothes smell.

Kitchen drawers get painted.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Hello All!

I built some drawers (out of aspen) for the bathroom to hold all the junk that accumulates in a bathroom closest.

I too have heard about not finishing the insides of drawers. But the visions of the future with wood saturated with a mixture of shaving cream, mouthwash and whathaveyou decided me to seal the wood.

I used three coats of wiping varnish (50/50 mix of varnish and turpentine). Two coats would dry in a day. Light sanding to smooth it, then one more coat the next day. Nice finish, low odor.

If I did it again I'd use waterbase poly, because my nice white aspen is now a pale yellow.

No smell though, and easy to clean.

Old Guy Who has yet to get fronts on said drawers.

Reply to
Old Guy

"LDR" wrote

Water based poly has very little odor. Just completed a chest of drawers. I used Minwax Polycrylic on the drawers. Virtually undetectable.

Max

Reply to
Max

just throwing in a little pine tree air freshener?

There's nothing wrong with pine for drawer boxes. The two most common woods seen in antique dressers (furniture that's seen decades of use) are pine and poplar, and pine looks a helluva lot better than poplar.

RicodJour

I use blonde dewaxed shellac.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I have in the past, but don't any more.

Cedar makes great sides, as well as pine.

Unfinished drawers are also easier to adjust if they bind in a year or two. Finished drawers are also more likely to stick.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Absolutely!

Reply to