Pink Hammers

Page 1 of 5
I stopped by Ace Hardware today to pick up a few small items. As I was checking out I was surprised to see a display of PINK HAMMERS on the counter! Apparently it is some kind of breast cancer thing. I asked about them and was told that there was more pink tools coming. I asked if they sold any of them and was told two.
I can't imagine this being any kind product that many people would buy. I think of it almost as a gag item. Anyway, I was a little puzzled by the whole thing. I know that women in the trades will paint their tools to keep them from being stolen. But this was no hammer for anybody in the trades. It was consumer, light weight model.
Maybe it is some kinda publicity thing with the tie in to the breast cancer research. Would you buy a pink hammer? Not me.

Why not - not secure enough in you masculinity :).?
Not all woodworkers are men. I may go and get one for my daughter. Mike in Ohio
Lee Michaels wrote:

Everyone should get whatever color they like, but I have a feeling that tools that look like tools are safer. I don't think I'd prefer a tool that invited me to let my guard down. I'd prefer red warning stickers to pink. How can you hand anyone a pink anything, and expect them to take it seriously? ;)
Bill
Bill wrote:

Well, we handed the Iranians a bunch of pink F-14s and when ever one of those lit off its radar the entire Iraqi air force would look for a place to hide.

Pink tools sound like the basis for a woodworker's club 'booby' prize where you award one monthly to the woodworker who can build the most outlandish woodworking project. Would be great for some laughs.

At one time, there was a line of pink colored tool especially for the women. It was a psychology thing, hoping they'd be more likely to buy them.
I wouldn't refuse to use a pink tool, but given the choice between two equal tools would probably buy the non-pink version.
Puckdropper

Think of the benefits, though... it would never get stolen. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"Puckdropper" wrote

Afterall, the pink tool would clash with your other tools.

Was it a fuschia pink or more of a dusty rose?
Robatoy wrote:

Powdered pussy willow pink would crow bar my wallet, fer sure ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

....as long as it isn't that disgusting pony-pecker pink.
Robatoy wrote:

Hell, even putrid puss pussy pink before that ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Also, if they have the pink ribbon symbol for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, part of the price goes to research.
My daughter has done the 60 mile walk to raise money and the OverLord and daughter do the 3 mile for the last few years - in fact this coming Sunday.
- Doug
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Last I heard, the group now has a new theme, "Big or small, save them all".
Gotta love it.
Lew

Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXi5ploCAjU

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

And just yesterday I read an online article about a group with more of an "in your face" approach (yet light-hearted) about breast cancer awareness - check out:
http://www.savethetatas.com/home.htm
Also fortunate to not have had anyone in the family suffer from breast cancer, but I do support the research.
Matt
On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:31:49 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Breast awareness month, eh? We're gonna lick it!
When I rented space in a cabinet shop where I could only use the space on off hours, the regular day shift guys (who I got to know pretty well) somehow seemd to always visit my utility belt and "borrow" stuff. I once replaced one of those red handled screwdrivers with the changable tips with one from my daughters toy kit that had a flowered pattern. They never took it, so I bought some pink spray paint. I still have a few clamps and squares, etc that are pink.