Ping Lew

Good chance you've seen this already, but to me it never gets old.

Robatoy

insurance premiums on time too... ;)

Reply to
Bill

Cant tell for sure, but looks like a Hinckley.

IOW, if you have to ask, you can't afford.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4e967b73$0$5606 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Something like "unstepping" the mast is what we did in sailing summercamp in Friesland often enough, with 16 m^2 boats and such. The "tjalk" didn't, though. For images see:

or

They still race these things ... Not all boats finish every race:

or

Reply to
Han

buoyancy change. Do wee ships like that have ballast tanks or adjustable ballast weights?

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That is a beautiful ketch. Probably around a million?

Reply to
Robatoy

Seeing that name sure shocked me this morning. I started a book by David Drake, _The Sharp End_, last night and the title of the first chapter was "Nieuw Friesland".

What? No keel? They must operate in very shallow areas.

I had the good fortune to be at the harbor in Oceanside, CA about 15 years ago and got to ride on an old sailing ship, the Pilgrim. We "crew" got to haul the sheets and they sailed her out about a mile from shore. There they let the more adventurous of us climb the rigging. The movement up there was about a 6x8' oval. That was a real blast! One of the very best $20 trips I've ever been on.

Paying $20 for a ride in a Bell 47 (the Bubble) and $25 for a ride in a Robinson R-44 helicopter were two more. I was the first commercial ride the new pilot girl gave after soloing that morning, so we had fun.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes. I think the draft of these things is about 3-5 feet.

Reply to
Han

On Oct 13, 9:08=A0am, Larry Jaques wrote: =A0I was the first commercial

I take it you sent out the laundry that day, eh?

Reply to
Robatoy

Ah yes, the good old BM, and later a couple of Regenboog (20m^2) When all my friends went camping with family or church groups, I was lucky enough to go to sailing camp on the Friesian lakes. My water polo coach was the leader of that camp and was an enthusiastic sailer and hailed from Sneek. A bit of a bully when it came to keeping things tidy, but that was helpful later in life. The Rainbow was my favourite and I'm told that original ones are fetching stupid money to collectors. Some fine examples are like jewelry. The last year I went we had 2 Volksboots. We were tied up to the dock more than we went out.

Reply to
Robatoy

Amazing. She has two akimbo centerboards for keepin' her straight with a side wind, I see.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ackshully, I was drunk that day but remember it vividly, and I didn't void from -either- end, thankyouverymuch. No, when I meant fun, it was just a blast zooming around like a dragonfly in that bubble. I did stop to point out the 3/4millionKV lines above once, though.

Happily, I had sobered up by the time I enjoyed the other two trips.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

----------------------------- That will get you started.

Depending on how it is fitted out, could easily reach $2Meg.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes. The amazing thingis that these boats could be handled by just 2 people, skipper and his wife/tow mule.

Reply to
Han