Pine or cedar clapboards?

I am residing 2 sides of a 1930's cape. I will be painting it. Typically I back prime new boards and do 2 coats of primer, 2 topcoats. Is there any big disadvantage to using pine instead of cedar. I know cedar is more naturally rot resistant, but if I am painting thwm, how much does this matter? Cedar is twice the price where I live.
Thanks for the help.

Well there you go.

As long as that paint job remains perfect with no checks, cracks, or splits, you are good to go. Maybe put a barrier up to keep the UV rays and kids from hitting it with balls and stuff.
Even unpainted pine will last five years, so how much longer you plan to live is a factor also. If you figure you'll be dead in five, use the pine and save the paint money and buy beer instead. You can buy 2 gallons of beer for the price of one gallon of paint.
You are one amusing individual. How long did it take you to make up that hilarious reply?
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

For some people it's not that hilarious. My mother went through three cars each of which she expected to outlive her. Once you reach a certain age you really don't expect to live a lot longer. Sometimes this can work against you--friend of mine decided not to have his cateracts removed because he figured he wasn't going to live that much longer. That was 25 years ago and they're getting worse every time I see him.
--John
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:39:50 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

What the cost of concrete clapboards there?
Mark

Yep Hardiplank will do a great siding job and last longer than Painted Pine or Cedar or Redwood. We did our house in Fl withit and ran off the remites
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:39:50 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Wood that is not rot-resistant, but painted, can last a long time, but is not my preference. Pressure-treated pine should last 15+ years and resist insect/rot. Other good outdoor woods include white oak, teak, cypress, and redwood. And of course there is vinyl.
[snip]

~ahem~... is this rec.vinylworking? Huh? Huh?
<G>