Ideal Overlap on Cedar Clapboards

I need to replace some isolated clapboards on our 100+ yr old house. The exposure varies from 4" to almost 5" meaning that I probably can't use regular 6" cedar clapboards (with actual width of 5 1/2").

So my plan is to buy 8" clapboards and rip them to width.

What is the proper (ideal) amount of OVERLAP that I should leave? What is the MINIMAL overlap that I can leave? (i.e. width of ripped clapboard minus exposure)

When ripping should I be ripping from the non-tapered end then?

Thanks!

Reply to
blueman

Since your patching in "isolated" individual boards into existing older work, I'd match the existing spacing as closely as feasible.

Assuming you have sufficient thickness when you're done. If the originals weren't at least reasonably close to a present standard, you may have a problem in that the bottom thickness of the new, wider clapboards is at best no thicker than the existing so when you rip it down you'll be noticeably thinner than the work you're trying to match. In that case you may simply have to either make do with a poor match or have some new siding milled to match dimensions you have. If you need a reasonable amount, it probably wouldn't run much more than the

8" by the time you figure the waste, it might be the same or even less plus a better fit/match and less trouble, to boot. On the old barn, couldn't find 3-1/4 T&G of same style so went the route of having 2000 linear feet milled for the job. Takes knowing what you're looking for to tell where it is except in a couple of areas where there are sizable areas of all new.
Reply to
dpb

to answer your question, i believe 1 1/4" is quoted as the minimum overlap. obviously you could push that a bit. you'll also want to tuck a piece of flashing behind the joints.

Reply to
marson

I'd go with what you already have. Take an average and make that your design width.

Reply to
JimL

Thanks! Can you give a little more detail around what you mean by "tuck a piece of flashing behind the joints"

- Which joints? I assume you mean horizontal right?

- What type of flashing?

- How big a piece?

Thanks

Reply to