Picture of first furniture project on APBW

Even though it's furniture I posted 2 pictures of my desk on APBW. All of my detractors can have a field day picking it apart. The rest of you, please offer constructive advice on how to improve on it so that the next time I will do better. There's so much to learn! Coopering, wood bending, veneering, and at the rate I'm going I'll be dead of old age before I try out all the techniques! Or I'll be in the poor house from buying more tools. :)
dave
Never said I wasn't dyslexic: Make that ABPW.
DAVE
What the hell is ABPW?
It's our sister newsgroup for posting binaries (pictures).
Proper name is alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.
Greg

Dave - your talking about the desk? What is there to pick apart? It looks great. Nice work.
-R

Looks nice Dave!
If you used poly, you should have used shellac. What, you used shellac? You should have used poly for a desk! <G>
Barry
yeah! and I paid too much for everything that went into it! :) Except for the drawer slides.
dave
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

That's right, I forgot. You pay too much for everything!
Barry

Dave, Dave, Dave,
You did a good job. Too bad you had to cheapen it by lying about using plans. That's the same exact desk that was in Wood magazine a few months ago.
I don't quite get it, is it un-manly to use plans? Are we suppossed to be impressed with your superior abilities because you didn't use plans?
Are you ever not a horse-dick?
People want to know, Rich
tsk, tsk, it isn't from any plans, Rich...
Lying seems to be your standard modus operandi.
dave
Rich wrote:

Dave it appears that this is another Pic i do not get to see would you kindly e-mail it to me thanks, George

Very nice!! The only thing that I see that you can improve on are the drawer fronts. It appears that they may be glue-ups. To improve the esthetics you can either use a solid piece or more carefully match the grain. Other than that, nice job for a first piece.
Jeff Zahnle
Bay Area Dave wrote:

thanks, there was some discussion about how wide a solid piece should be. I ended up doing glue-ups before I realized I could have used solid pieces. There's always NEXT time, though! I was too frugal with the lumber I had bought for the project.
dave
Jeff Zahnle wrote:

First furniture project?? You've had practice Dave. Looks great.
-- Ed. O. My woodworking projects at: http://www.amiigas.com Remove the NAIL from e-mail to reply
Hey Dave,
I looked at your desk and have to say you did a great job. I read a few of the other comments, but I don't really see anything major wrong with it. Actually, I don't even see anything really "wrong" at all. Every project is a learning experience, so whatever you take away for the next one makes it all good. I'm about to post on my latest project, and I'll tell you, I'm still pretty annoyed by the stupid mistakes I make that add up to big "goofs" in the final product. Things like that really make me have even more respect for the craftsman that put work together nearly "perfect" and do it probably 10 times faster than I ever will (and I doubt I'll ever even approach perfection).
What's next on the list?
Mike

To Both Mike and Dave, There is no such thing as perfection when it comes to woodworking, For years I have always wanted to hang my shingle and say 'Hers George Practicing Woodworking" I have been at it for years a good many and I humbly submit that I am Good, Well let me rephrase that, I'm damn good, That being said I have never ever made a perfect piece, the day that I fell that I did, I will Quit. I'm still practicing and still learning Dave I would like to see a pic of your desk It happened that I do not have that post on APBW But have read all of the post about it.
Good Luck, George

Thanks for your approval, Mike! I pretty much agree with all of the constructive comments about the desk. I had some reservations about some of the details, and they were pointed out to me over on ABPW. Like the pencil drawer; it's centered between the stiles, but not in the space where you sit, because of the stub of a stile on the right side.
What's next? Probably a little end table for SWMBO for next to her favorite little SWMBO-sized rocker. OR, a letter tray for my desk. :)
What are you about to post? You get a lot more done in the same amount of time than I do. I think I don't spend enough time in the shop.
dave