Philips Wood screws

Page 1 of 3
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.
It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.
My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?
Ignoramus6479 wrote:

Are you sure you are not including "cross head" with "Phillips"?
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Are you sure you're not confusing "posidriv" with "cross head"? ;-) Cross-head *is* a Phillips head.
http://inventors.about.com/od/sstartinventions/a/screwdriver_2.htm
Posidriv looks sorta like it but has the additional radial markings to differentiate the Posidriv head.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_F._Phillips

Also here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv#Pozidriv
Erik
Erik wrote:

Possibly...
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
CaveLamb wrote:

Actually, I think I was thinking of the Reed and Prince... It requires a special screw driver.
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Robertson is certainly an improvement over Phillips. I prefer Torx, but they're usually more expensive. Anthing larger than about a #8x3 I usually spring for them, though. I don't use all that many so the extra cost isn't great.

CaveLamb wrote:

Or pozidriv , they look similar but are a far better screw for head grip , u need the correct bits though
Ignoramus6479 wrote:

For all kinds of fastener info:
http://www.mcfeelys.com
Pete C. wrote:

Yea :-) That's what I said but spelled it wrong. :-) ...lew...
Ignoramus6479 wrote:

"Phillips" is a definitive callout for the drive. I've been spec'ing industrial quality Phillips machine screws for 25 years and never seen one that didn't fit the driver tight.
On Friday, May 27, 2011 4:16:59 PM UTC-7, Jim Stewart wrote:

Err.... actually, Philips is a tradename, and it's licensed so there's probably some genuine standards commitment there. Philips markings on a screwdriver used to mean some assurance of quality (maybe still does).
whit3rd wrote:

It's also a callout.
I can show you any number of unambitious and acceptable assembly drawings and bills of material that call out Philips screws.
Tradename doesn't matter. I can call out a Philips screw just as I can call out Delrin or or Meehanite as a material.
Or maybe I've missed your point...

PosiDrive?
Ignoramus6479 wrote:

There are a LOT more than two cross drive types. Phillips, Frearson, Posi-drive, Supadriv, are just a few.
--
Steve W.

On Fri, 27 May 2011 17:19:59 -0500, Ignoramus6479

===========Sounds like you may be fighting the Pozidriv v Phillips wars all over again. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives <snip> Phillips drivers have an intentional angle on the flanks and rounded corners so they will cam out of the slot before a power tool will twist off the screw head. The Pozidriv screws and drivers have straight sided flanks.
The Pozidriv screwdriver and screws are also visually distinguishable from Phillips by the second set of cross-like features set 45 degrees from the cross. The manufacturing process for Pozidriv screwdrivers is slightly more complex. The Phillips driver has four simple slots cut out of it, whereas in the Pozidriv each slot is the result of two machining processes at right angles. The result of this is that the arms of the cross are parallel-sided with the Pozidriv, and tapered with the Phillips.
This design is intended to decrease the likelihood that the Pozidriv screwdriver will slip out, provide a greater driving surface, and decrease wear.[8] The chief disadvantage of Pozidriv screws is that they are visually quite similar to Phillips, thus many people are unaware of the difference or do not own the correct drivers for them, and use incorrect screwdrivers. This results in difficulty with removing the screw and damage to the slot, rendering any subsequent use of a correct screwdriver unsatisfactory. Phillips screwdrivers will fit in and turn Pozidriv screws, but will cam out if enough torque is applied, potentially damaging the screw head. The marker lines on a Pozidriv screwdriver will not fit a Phillips screw correctly, and are likely to slip or tear out the screw head. <snip>
http://www.hafele.com/us/services/haefele-library/4300.htm
posidrv bits and screwdrivers
(Amazon.com product link shortened) http://www.jjscrewdriverbits.com / http://www.mcfeelys.com/pozidrive-bit http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/712serie.htm and a whole bunch more
Let the group know what you find as there are most likely others with the same problem.
-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Good post. Here in the UK a lot of us use pozidriv exclusively.

Mating with a Phillips head screw is called "Using the right size driver bit"
George W Frost wrote:

Bingo!
--

dadiOH
On 5/27/2011 5:19 PM, Ignoramus6479 wrote:

As others have pointed out, you are probably not using the correct driver on the what you assume may be a Phillips head screw.
Drop that style screw altogether and use square head drive screws. I switched over 25 years ago.