Pat Warner offset Base?

I needed a second base for my Bosch 1617. I snagged a reasonably price on on ebay that came with this. What do you do with it? Does the knob end go up on the surface to give a little more stability on edge routing, or is there more to it than that?

Is there any particular advantage that it take PC template guides? I only use one, and I have that in a Bosch.

Thanks

Reply to
Toller

Your Bosch has proprietary guides which work well, why buy twice?

Offset bases provide a bit more leverage for some operations, though I personally have never found any great need for them over a slap-up 1/4" masonite one.

Now a D-handle base would be nice - I think....

Reply to
George

Yes, it gives you MORE support surface to help you NOT tip/tilt the router while using it

Also, other than the fact that there are TONS of PC compatable inserts out there, but pretty much NO inserts other than the ones from Bosch for your 1617.

Down the road, you will probably be glad that you have the ability to use those PC guides. Of course, you can always switch back to the Bosch base if you really have a strong attachment to the Bosch guides

John

Reply to
John Crea

PC guides can be used with a $10 adaptor, sold by Bosch. It works fine.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

IIRC Leigh Jigs offers that adapter also at a very reasonable price.

Reply to
Leon