Panel Saw Plans??

Anyone have any detailed plans to build a Panel Saw. I don't feel like shelling out over 1,000 dollars on something I could probably build for less than $100.
hmmm... a good circular saw alone, costs more than $100. How are you gonna manage this spectacular feat?
dave
Cable Tech wrote:

oh, and your labor is worth ZILCH? :)
dave
Cable Tech wrote:

Probably is. Since he expects us to do his research for him, he apparently figures _our_ time isn't worth anything either.
Clue for the OP: search old posts in this ng on Google Groups.

There was a good plan for one in Shop Notes several years ago that is probably exactly what you're looking for. Well, I'm 90% sure it was Shop Notes, but maybe it was WoodSmith. Check the Shop Notes site and you should be able to find it.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Cable Tech" < snipped-for-privacy@charter.net> wrote in message

ShopNotes
Rockler sells a set of plans for $3.95 and they have hardware kits also. Go to Rockler.com and type panel saw into the search window.

The one at Rockler with the plan and hardware kit will still cost $300. Just make one.
Platform: Build the wood frame/platform. Make sure it's square. You could eyeball the one at Rockler (http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?skuS11&filter1446 ) or make a torsion box style platform like this one (http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/panelcutguide.html ) or this one(http://store.yahoo.com/woodstore/cutplatsheet.html ).
Guide: Then bolt one something like this. Make sure it's square. http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&catid=7&objectgroup_id )3&offerings_id548
Rule: Stick a self-adhesive rule across it. Make sure it's square. http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&catidT&objectgroup_idC7&offerings_id 629
You're done. The guide and the rule will be about $75. Plus the wood (dig for straight 2x4s). Probably as close to a $100 panel saw as you could possibly get.
You could hang it on a wall, make easel-type legs, or if your ceiling is not too high (like in my garage shop) put a couple of door hinges on it and hang it from the joists (use piece of rope, a pulley, and make a catch for it, mine comes down like pulling down an attic staircase).

Better yet.
Save $70 for the guide and make one out of a piece of hardboard and a piece of 1x4 MDF.
Then you will come in way under $100.
like

Thanks for you guys that helped out. As for Doug and Dave, I searched on Google under asshole and your names popped up first....lol