Palm Sander vs. Random Orbit Sander

Hi All, I'm curious as to the differences in finishing abilities of a palm sander and a ROS. I assume the ROS is more aggressive. My palm sander died the other day and I am debating about buying another one or a ROS in its place. In an ideal world, I'd just buy both and not worry about it, but right now it's not an option. The majority of my items are small and some can be very fragile (fretwork pieces). I have a stationary belt/disc sander which along with my hands have been filling the void. Thanks for any advice.

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

PC Speedbloc. You'll want one after you get your ROS anyway.

Has 'em, and though not necessarily at the lowest price, you'll want to get your rolls of paper at the same time. Leaving it up to you which to choose, PSA, Velcro or regular. Let the grit be aggressive where you need it to be.

Don't you presand fretwork? I'd hate to think of sanding it after I'd put the time in it.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

or a palm sander. A ROS is going to be more aggressive PLUS the defined path is hard to negotiate in coffined spaces and on small objects. Since the circular sanding pad on a ROS goes in a random orbit the edge of its travel while holding the sander in one place can vary as much as 1 inch from one side of the sander to the other. As George has indicated, the PC SpeedBloc would probably be your last sander if you choose that one.

Reply to
Leon

I had never used a ROS until last year when I bought one. I was tired of using the palm sander, it took FOREVER. The ROS is like heaven on earth. I think the finish is MUCH better than the palm, and it's so much faster.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I have both.

There are some applications where a finish sander is preferable, but 9 times (or more) out of 10 you will reach for the ROS.

I *never* use the finish sander anymore. The ROS rocks. Yes it's generally more agressive, but my latest has variable speed which is surprisingly useful.

I generally do the last pass of sanding by hand with the grain anyway.

Buy an ROS.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I'm with Steve, if you can only buy one, buy a ROS. And do the finishing work by hand and a palm sander is cheap enough that, with the right hints, makes a great Christmas present from someone near and dear.

TWS

TWS

Reply to
Phisherman

How do you sand inside corners or up close to a panel that joins at 90 degrees with a ROS?

Reply to
Leon

Greetings,

I had a Makita PS forever and it certainly fit the bill for me. Then I was given a Porter Cable ROS and my poor little Makita PS sits idle.

Here are my impressions of the ROS vs. the PS

  1. it is quieter
  2. it is more aggressive
  3. better dust collection
  4. THERE ARE FAR FEWER SANDING SCRATCHES (my most important consideration)
  5. it is easier on my hands. far less post-use fuzzies in the hands

the big negative,

the paper is certainly more expensive. 90 cents for a square sheet cut in four makes 22 cents each. The cheapest ROS paper I have found at Lee Valley is about 60 cents. CDN dollars.

Hope this helps.

Brandt

Reply to
brandt

That is a problem with ROS's. A simple solution would be to design the project without any inside corners or 90 degree joins.

Reply to
mp

as much as possible sand before assembly.

Reply to
bridger

You don't.

That's why Fein makes a detail sander.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Correct.. ROS is a great tool but by far NOT the only sander you should have.

Reply to
Leon

That would be a yes, but there's always a light touch-up sanding (removing burrs and such) after it's done.

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

Sand prior to assembly with an ROS, or touch it up with hand sanding.

Reply to
Stephen M

Take a look at

've bought a box of 50, and even with shipping, it came out better than HD or LV. (But then, I have lots of unused sandpaper sitting around...)

Reply to
Daniel

I agree Leon, but reread this fromn the O.P.

"My palm sander died the other day and I am debating about buying another one or a ROS in its place. In an ideal world, I'd just buy both and not worry about it, but right now it's not an option"

Paraphrased: If I could only have one, which would it be?

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

hmm... maybe I'm missing something here, but I have always had BOTH...

Rougher paper on the 1/3 sheet ROS, then finer paper in the 1/4 sheet Palm sander, then hand sanding/steel wool..

Reply to
mac davis

Rather than do that, you could plane or scrape for a superior finish. Sanders are for places you can't.

Reply to
George